• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Calling audio gurus

I just got an adapter to allow me to play my ipod thru the aux input of my 5-yr-old Blaupunkt CD receiver. However, I have to take it out in order to install the adapter, and I don't want to break something by taking it out incorrectly. I also don't want to pay out of my a$$ for someone at Tweeter to install it as it seems pretty straightforward.

Was wondering if anyone on here had experience with installing car audio equipment and maybe could do it for me? I'll repay with beer!

Find somebody with the keys for taking out the cd player. Or you might be able to find something around your house. To stick in like keys.

EBA_Dekorblende_071700.jpg

See how those keys are in the picture around the edges of the radio. I realize yours will be much smaller and different but basically take the ring off that surrounds the radio and the keys slide in on the sides about midway between the top and bottom. You slide em in and they'll click. Some of them will click in and grab the radio when you pull them out but basically they release a little lock on the radio and viola it slides right out. You might be able to find some keys at the auto store. I know they sell em to get factory radios out of fords and chevys. If that doesn't help come to Ga I'll help you yank it out.

That's the key question - what year? If it's 1996 or earlier (old body style,) it's fairly simple to do. If it's 1997-2001, I can't help you (but I'm sure there are those here who can.)

Also, if you get the instructions and you still don't feel up to it, offer some beer on your local chapter and you'll probably get someone to show you how to do it, instead of explain it to you. I know that usually works better for me...

It does matter, because if the stereo is mounted correctly (i.e., using the factory brackets), she'll have to get the bezel off to get at the radio.

Sometimes, on the older dashboards, installers will just slide the DIN cage through the radio opening (which is pretty freaking hack, IMO) and you can get the radio out without even removing any panels, just by popping off the trim ring and sliding the removal keys in there, as mentioned above.

Otherwise, you'll have to get the bezel out, which is just a matter of removing a few screws and persuading it over the steering wheel. Really not hard at all.

There's some posts living in the Street and Performance section dealing with stereo removal for newer XJs if you have one of those. It's really not hard, and you'll have a hard time breaking something.

if its mounted in a cage, simply pop off the trim ring around the face of the deck, and slide a set of kitchen grade butter knives one on each side, right in the middle. if its an old style and just the face pokes through the dash, youll need to pop off the dash and pull a couple of screws.

davebz1a said:
What year is your XJ?

a quick look at her profile told me its a 1999 and i remember her thread about putting a lift on, its a 97 and newer for sure.

Alternatively, you could buy an FM Modulator and a memory stick on Ebay, use your computer to put your music on the stick. When you want to play your music, just plug the modulator into your cigarette lighter socket, and tune your radio to the same frequency as the modulator.
Costs a little more, but no dis-assembly required.....

FM transmitters suck. For 97+ XJs, pull the bezel as its only held by clips. Really easy to remove. Then the stereo should be held by only 2-3 bolts/screws into the dash, remove and pull the stereo out carefully. Plug in your adapter and run the wires down and out for your ipod. Reverse install and you're done. The 96+ XJs are the easiest to R&R the stereo unit.

My 95 jeep came with a kenwood installed the "hack" way. I've since started aquiring the parts to install my new radio including a new mount kit.

If you were closer I'd offer to help. It should be fairly straight forward thou.

What's the big deal?? If it's a 97 -2001, Grab the cover bezel from underneeth and carefully pull it off. The radio mount is held in with two 10mm self tapping screws. Remove them and the radio comes out. Shouldn't take longer than 3 minutes.

davebz1a said:
What's the big deal?? If it's a 97 -2001, Grab the cover bezel from underneeth and carefully pull it off. The radio mount is held in with two 10mm self tapping screws. Remove them and the radio comes out. Shouldn't take longer than 3 minutes.

Haha not if you're me! I'm sure it'll take longer than that for me to figure it out! :banghead:

Where is the squatch when there is a damsel in distress?/)

Forwarding this to the MAC.. nevermind just yet..

If you need to, I'll myspace pic it wit you.

Last edited:
What is that a picture of in post #2?

Anyway, it is super easy on a 99, like others said. And you don't have to worry about a "cage", since your headunit is already in there, and you just want to plug the adapter in.

Put the tranny in neutral to give you more room. Grab the center bezel at the very bottom corners, and pull gently.

Well I just pulled my head unit out and guess what? I need another adapter cable to plug into the one I bought in order to use it...isn't that great? And if I remember correctly, that cable is no longer available...at least according to Crutchfield. Fan-bloody-tastic! :(

CaliJeep said:
Find somebody with the keys for taking out the cd player. Or you might be able to find something around your house. To stick in like keys.

EBA_Dekorblende_071700.jpg

See how those keys are in the picture around the edges of the radio. I realize yours will be much smaller and different but basically take the ring off that surrounds the radio and the keys slide in on the sides about midway between the top and bottom. You slide em in and they'll click. Some of them will click in and grab the radio when you pull them out but basically they release a little lock on the radio and viola it slides right out. You might be able to find some keys at the auto store. I know they sell em to get factory radios out of fords and chevys. If that doesn't help come to Ga I'll help you yank it out.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions! I managed to get it out today via a wrench to take the bolts out that hold the housing in. And that car in your pic has to be a UK car as the clutch and brake pedals are on the right side. Plus BBC2 on the radio is kind of a dead giveaway! Even Sat radios don't have BBC2...at least that I know of. ;)

Back