• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Inspecting Exhaust Manifold - where to look?

jccj7

NAXJA Forum User
Hi - I have a '97 Cherokee with a 4.0. I had the exhaust manifold replaced about 9 months ago due to it being cracked.

I've noticed an odd sound coming from the engine compartment that has slowly getting louder and sounds very much like an exhaust leak. Sounds like a bubbling, sucking chest wound when accelerating. Oddly, does not seem to make the sound when stationary with the hood up.

So - could my manifold be cracked again? I looked at all the areas tht I could see and did not see anything evident - do I need to remove the intake? Where do I need to look? IS there a common place where cracks occur?

Thanks for any suggestions.

jc

Common crack area:
old_crack.jpg

From http://yuccaman.com/jeep/exhaust.html

Jim www.yuccaman.com

replace motor mounts too!!!!

Gentlemen - thanks for the replies. Yucca - perfect picture, thanks. JNickel - yep, had one replaced when I had the last manifold replaced. Hopefully it's still good, but I'll check it.

Back