• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil pressure light

ezsk8er

NAXJA Forum User
i went to rausch creek yesterday with my 1996 cherokee, and it was runnign and wrking good all day, but when i was just sitting still letting the engine idle the oil pressure warning light would come on, i checked the oil level and it is fine, could the oil pump be bad, or a sensor, if i step on the gas even the slightest bit it turns off, the motors runs smooth so im at a loss any help would be great thank you

Hook up a mechanical oil pressure guage...if it is lower than 13 psi at idle, you have a problem...change oil filter and oil to see if that helps...if not, you will have to dig deeper into the problem.

x2 on the hooking up a mechanical gauge. This way, you'll know exactly what pressure you are experiencing. Because the oil pressure sending unit (I think they call it an oil switch at the parts store) is pretty inexpensive and a very common XJ failure, a lot of guys that don't have a gauge just replace the sending unit and cross their fingers. The gauge itself can fail or course as with anything electrical but the sending unit fails waaay more often. If you have identical or close to the same oil pressure with a new sending unit, then the mech. gauge is a must-do. BTW, how many miles on your engine?

thats the thing i dont really know, mine blew up so i pulled one out of the junk yard, the odometer said 233000 something close but i put it in mine and it runs smooth as a babys ass starts right up so im thinking i mighta got lucky with a rebuilt motor, just little kinks like this ill look into and get a mechanical gauge thanks for your help

Back