• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CPS Sorry - no matches.

78/xj88

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms. this is all i get when i do a search
i need to know what it is and does and how to change it i know it say to search well i did that and found
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

WHAT THE HELL IS A CPS i think i need to change it have troble with starts mostly hot starts and stalls changed fuel filter and plugs and wires not old at all?
HELP i have a anger proplem too but i love my 88 xj but she makes me so mad:flamemad: :fuse:

I believe the SEARCH function needs 4 characters. As McQue mentions, spelling the word out works. It will also work if you use an asterisk after a 3 character string. So, use CPS* and you should get lots of hits.

Also, give us some more details on the problem. What type of a hot start problem do you have? When you keep cranking it, does it start? Do you have to leave it cool down before it will fire? What happens when it stalls? Lots of details will help us help you to troubleshoot it.....
There are a few things that can cause the symptoms you are experiencing.

If he has an anger problem, just wait until he finds out how easy it is to change the sucker...LOL :D

thanks for the ideas just came home real quick 4 lunch to see what all has been said i will reply with more info @5 or 6 i get home thanx everyone
THANKS

first off which engine you have ? that also helps in the location of it. my 89 4.0 has it on the DRIVERSIDE on the bell housing, near the top.
lots of fun to get to.

easiest way to do it.... take it to a garage.
cheapest way... do it your self.
most fun way.. have a buddy do it for you.... then give him a 6 pack for his headache! lol.

Saudade said:
Or you can look in the FAQ section. Never mind, that's only 3 letters....
:laugh2:
So LOL is out too? :roflmao:

The IAT, also called the MAT :D (Sorry the Intake Air or Manifold Air Temperature sensor) can cause that too. It can be tested with a simple OHM meter (of chit another 3 letter guy, LOL) or DMM (Digital Multi Meter, :D).

Perhaps one of the MODs should post a sticky of three letter acronyms around here in the FAQs? Or is it already there?

I try to spell out the words at least once in each thread I post in so that they turn up in later searches with the full spelling.

ok heres the deal got off of work last night and drove home 3 blocks and my boss calls me back up there and was there for 5min go to jeep and it will not fire up it turns but no fire i can hear fuel pump sounds normal try pushing gas pedle dont help walked home took a shower and drove back up and turn key same thing then gave it gas it chuged and then tada it starts.....brand new fuel filter cap and plugs and wires not old.. oh and it only does this once and a while like today had to go back for a min to work after i got home this time i left in running and shut it off at home and tried to start agian it starts going out there right now to see if it starts itsw an 88 4.0 all stock mabey i will take it to shop i dont know yet i dont like other folks messing with my jeep this is only my 2 jeep first 1 burned up power stearing pump cracked and POW on fire any thanx 4 all the help

If you gave it gas and held it to the floor maybe you have a leaky injector and it is flooding if it is Renix which your probably is when you hold it to the floor it stops pumping gas to the injectors does it start ok overnight?

yep it starts just fine overnight and if i drive for a while its hard to start when i go to leave from were ever i am and it has stalled 2 times at a red light but starts right up which i find odd cause its a hot start???? I will more than likely take it to the guy who works on our 56 chevy i just dont no i would like to fix it....Just dont have bucks now he is working on our 56 now and that will just add to the bill so i am trying and i think i am losing..........

It still sounds like the CPS, oh sorry Crankshaft position sensor LOL. This is a long shot, but when it happens, try unplugging it and plugging it back in, I have heard that this sometimes works but have never tried it myself.

OMG!!! :wantyou: fix its!! WTF...

78/xj88 said:
ok heres the deal,

I got off of work last night and drove home 3 blocks, and my boss calls me back up there, and I was there for 5min...(engine off)

I goto the jeep and it will not fire up. It turns but there's no fire. I can hear fuel pump, it sounds normal.. Try pushing gas peddle.. That doesn't help.. I walked home, took a shower and drove back up and turned the key again. Same thing. I then gave it gas, it chugged, and then TADA!! it starts.....

Brand new fuel filter cap and plugs and wires not old..

Oh! And it only does this once and a while like today..

I had to go back for a min to work after i got home this time. I left it running and shut it off at home and tried to start again. It starts going out there right now to see if it starts itsw an '88 4.0 all stock.

Maybe I will take it to the shop, I dont know yet... (I dont like other folks messing with my jeep.) This is only my 2nd jeep. The 1st burned up power stearing pump cracked and POW on fire...

Any help is appreciated. Thanx 4 all the help!!
Hopefully now someone will understand wtf you're trying to have issues with.

At least test the CPS with a v/ohm meter would ya?
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Engine/Basic_Sensors_Diagnostics.htm

Last edited:
Ecomike said:
:laugh2:
So LOL is out too? :roflmao:

Yes, but LMAO or ROFL and their combo is perfectly acceptable.

^Hey there bro! lolz... hahaha..

My personal favorite- LMAOROFLMFAAWTFWWTTD?

What ? lol thats easy i am new at this so give me a break i did add the internet dictionary thing to my fav at least:eyes:

its going into the shop in the morning a little to early for me but i have so much to do...i want to do the work myself but dont have time ( getting hitched!!!)to get dirty on days off from work. Not days off from the little ladys dream day planning. Yes i have been asked if that damn jeep is more important than planning wedding. I THINK SO no just playing

Back