• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shifter knob?

cjben

NAXJA Forum User
i was driving around today,went to shift into second gear,and the shifter knob came off in my hand!! The white plastic material that was inside the shifter is all broke to hell and the shifter won't go back on. I guess i need a new one. But where to get one? and how does it fit back on? looks like the original was press fit on or something of the sort. 1992 5 speed. thanks!!

I like mine
cant really make them out but one is a wodden tiki and the other is a piston tiki. Found them one EBAY

or once I go twin sticks I will use the tikis on the transfer and this on the transmission

Dude.... Wheres your dash?????

As for the OP, my trans shift knob jusdt threads on. Went to the J-yard, got a new one. Got tired of mine coming off also, and did something about it. But I'm pretty sure it just screws on.

Well I had the same thing happen the day I brought mine home. I bought one from Quadratec to replace mine. Although any shift knob with a 10mmX1.5mm thread pitch will work. I fixed the original with trusty JB weld till the replacement arrived, just make sure it is dry before installing if you want to get if off again.

I HAVE A 92 AN MINE DID THE SAME.I JUST FITTED MOST ALL THE PLASTIC BACK IN LIKE A PUZZLE AN SUPERGLUED. IT BACK ON ITS BEEN HOLDIN WELL EVEN WHEN I POWER SHIFT.

Stop YELLING at us! Thanks. :D

there are no threads to screw a normal shifter knob onto,looks like it was press fit or the plastic shifter knob that was on it was molded to it somehow. And there are too many parts scattered all over to glue it back together.

Same thing happened to my '96 shortly after got it. The black plastic was pretty thin and maleable, and the white stuff inside disintegrated. Got a replacement from Quadratec, but mine was threaded. It was a threaded knob, with a threaded collar also, so you could align it and then tighten the collar.

little red xj,do you know the part # for the shifter you got from quadratrec? I looked at their website,but didn't see anything like what you described. thanks!!

i put a cheap "hurst" look alike on my 89. using a thread coupler, i threaded the coupler to the stick shifter and threaded the handle on to it. very easy job.

89xj said:
i put a cheap "hurst" look alike on my 89. using a thread coupler, i threaded the coupler to the stick shifter and threaded the handle on to it. very easy job.

did that too lol, looks fast haha:laugh2:

Go to local parts store and get an 8 ball for $10 and call it done!

cjben said:
not trying to be simple here,but what kind of coupler are you talking about? thanks!!

thread coupler may be the wrong term. what i used had external threads(not internal like a thread coupler) with a hex shape in the middle so you could use a wrench to turn it. i will try to find a pic.

HPIM0141.jpg

When I bought my Jeep the shifter was coming apart, this was my solution.

I forget who makes it but I have their brochure at home. Its a real billiard ball tapped and drilled with the correct thread for an XJ. Weight is great, and you can get it in any other billiard ball, or with a shift pattern, or a couple other weird designs. The 8 ball was the cheapest, and matched my Jeep, so the choice was easy.

Huh. Interestingly enough, I can't find it now either... I've found their website to be sketchy, you'll get different results depending on how you search for something. When I get home, I may be able to dig up the invoice, that might have a part number on it... The only thing I can find on Quadratec right now is the same shift knob, but threaded for the post-97's...

cjben said:
little red xj,do you know the part # for the shifter you got from quadratrec? I looked at their website,but didn't see anything like what you described. thanks!!

Ok, I've searched around their site a little more, and I'm starting to think I DID order the post-97 one, part #: 52137 06. Under "replacement parts," I found what I remember as the page I ordered from. It says its threaded for the '97 and later models, but whatever it is I ordered worked just fine. Of course, mine being a '96, maybe it had the later threads, I dunno. I'll still see if I can find that invoice for a part number.

cjben said:

i had the same issue everyone else seems to have had with the knob coming apart. i never liked the big, bulky look of the o.e. knob anyway. when i went to replace it i found that i liked the feel of the tj shift knob. it screws right on and isn't likely to ever break. as a bonus (for me anyway, as i have long monkey arms) it sits about an inch shorter on the shifter handle.

Back