• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

input shafts

jeepcomj

NAXJA Forum User
is an np242 input shaft interchangeable with an np231 input shaft? it's a strange question, i know.

I'll look it up and get back to you, but I doubt it. I do know there are different spline counts even between some model year 231's and some indexing differences.

Last edited:
*sigh* thanks but,

try again

any differences in the input shafts between the np242 and np231???

k, thanks

I didn't find any common part numbers, but I didn't check every year.

there wouldn't be then.

I will just try it and see what happens.

jeepcomj said:
is an np242 input shaft interchangeable with an np231 input shaft? it's a strange question, i know.

Yes.
If they are same length, spline count and gear tooth style.
It would help if you gave us some info like year, type of transmission etc.
XJs have been around for a while, they are not identical.

haha. yes, IF

uh. it's a pretty laid back, simple question. they didn't change the internals of the 231 from at least 87-96, and probably all the way through 01 or longer. same with the 242. there are variances between brands of course, BUT.

this is a jeep forum. i'm using jeep parts.

so. I'm pulling an np242 from a 1990 xj that has a 21 spline input shaft (or should). JUST in case....i'm wondering if the input shaft can be swapped between the np231 and np242. reason being, i have a long 21 spline input shaft from an np231 that would go in...

thanks

nevermind everyone, i found my source

http://www.hobbyguild.com/jeep/index.html

the answer is yes, they are interchangeable.

which means I may also be able to interchange the proper one from an np207. this is about to get interesting...

jeepcomj said:
haha. yes, IF

uh. it's a pretty laid back, simple question. they didn't change the internals of the 231 from at least 87-96, and probably all the way through 01 or longer.

thanks

Actually, they did.
Besides the obvious, sometime in 95, I think, they changed the tooth style.
The input shaft gear has to match the tooth style of the case low range gear.

what's the obvious?

I'll be using a late 80's input shaft on itso it should work. we will see.

Back