• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Seat Bowage

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I had another Jeep do it to me, this time my 99. Has anyone ever done anything to permanently stop the rear section of the back seat from bowing in the middle? I've had the rear seat covers off many different XJs, so I am quite familiar with what it looks like under there. That thin pan always bends right in the middle. I've heard people say you can just strip the covers off, bend it back, and it'll be fine for a while, but others say that it doesn't last at all. So my question is...what type of reinforcing should I do to it? I do have a small 110v welder so I could make those type of reinforcements, but I wouldn't know what to reinforce exactly. Any ideas?

Maybe try welding a piece of medium size angle steel on the inside of the seat frame as clsoe to the top as possible. I have had that happen to one of mine before; I just got someone to help me bend it back with the cover on and all. It was a partial success. I had to reposition the latch brackets afterward, but it worked out ok.

pressurerat said:
Maybe try welding a piece of medium size angle steel on the inside of the seat frame as clsoe to the top as possible. I have had that happen to one of mine before; I just got someone to help me bend it back with the cover on and all. It was a partial success. I had to reposition the latch brackets afterward, but it worked out ok.
Well for the time being I may just try bending it back, if not maybe the angle iron around the top and bottom would be a good idea if it'll clear the seat cover. Thanks for the suggestion!

we just repaired this over the past weekend:
angle iron spotted along the inside of the upper flange, and also the lower. had to notch out one of them to clear reinforcing ridges on the pan. then to add support to the centre, we welded two 1x.125 straps diagonally between the upper mounts and the lower mounts ( on the back of the pan). running a piece of 1/4"(I think) x 1 bar stock up the centre under the straps supports the weak centre.
These two mods make the seat back bomb proof, and you can then accomodate your fattest friends:)

OLAK said:
we just repaired this over the past weekend:
angle iron spotted along the inside of the upper flange, and also the lower. had to notch out one of them to clear reinforcing ridges on the pan. then to add support to the centre, we welded two 1x.125 straps diagonally between the upper mounts and the lower mounts ( on the back of the pan). running a piece of 1/4"(I think) x 1 bar stock up the centre under the straps supports the weak centre.
These two mods make the seat back bomb proof, and you can then accomodate your fattest friends:)
That sounds good, I will do the same once it warms up; glad to hear something actually works. Thanks!

X2 just did my rear seat last week that had this issue. Just use 1x1 angle & no more Taco seat..

angle iron around the top and bottom would be a good idea if it'll clear the seat cover.

OLAK said:
we finally did this last weekend after putting up with it for years, and on Tuesday the Cherokee was totalled in an accident:doh:

Wow!!! Sounds like my kind of luck!!! Sorry man .......... :wow:

Back