• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lock cylinder question

js_customs

NAXJA Forum User
I was replacing the lock cylinder in my driver's door and I am having some trouble getting it out. I searched here and found a topic that helped, but I still can't get the last clip off to take the cylinder out. The clip I'm having trouble with is the e-clip that attaches the lock cylinder to the linkage. Is there a trick to getting this off? It's on an 88 xj with non-power locks.
Thanks
Matt

In my experience with those God forsaken locks there are only a few things that keep you from getting where you wanna go.

A. The lock linkage is difficult sometimes if in an awkward angle. You simply get the white-ish plastic clip and pull it sideways 90 degrees and then pull out the rod from the inside of the plasic clip.

B. The metal clip that actually holds the cylinder in place. You need a screwdriver if I rememeber correctly and you simply pop off. It goes around the cylintrical part flush with the door skin.

C. The door latch assembly is a pain to work with it's self. My XJ was bought with a locked driver door and a messed up latch so I had to use the passenger door until I firuged that one out. Ended up being jammed by the last retard that owned it. There is a little "switch" that runs lengthwise with the car and if it's up, its unlokced and if its down then its locked or visa versa. Either way I was trying to go the other way and it didnt agree.

Those are all the things that will hold you up with a door lock that I know from my literally HOURS of work on mine. They arent too bad

Sorry if my directions are vauge but its the best I got, you just have to imagine.

Hope this helps

--Alex

Yeah, the linkage is the only thing I'm having trouble with. I understand what you're saying though, I'll try it tomorrow. Thanks for the reply!

Back