• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is recommended to seal oil pan??

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
Over the years I have seen more than a couple oil pan gasket leaks, The gasket kit comes with two cork strips for the sided and two rubber gaskets for the ends. When I did my small block I just used black rtv and threw that crap away. Can I do the same?? I hate oil leaks!

I got the raised eyebrow look from my parts guy when I asked for a one peice.

He's retarded. I'm learning that there are many of them that are. Go to Napa online and find it, get the part #, take that to the supply house and tell him to go in the back and fetch it. I do it all the time, and it pisses those guys off. It's good clean fun.

I got the same raised eyebrow look from my local parts guy!

Is there anyplace to purchase the one piece gasket online?
What is the part # ?

well nothing in napa canada according to napaprolink, why is this not suprising??

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPag...umber=OS34308R&Description=Oil+Pan+Gasket+Set

I believe that it's made by Fel-Pro. It's actually a 2 piece gasket, sorry. The seal on the timing cover is seperate. It's made of PermaDry molded rubber, it has brass or steel inserts at the bolt locations to prevent over tightening, and all of the ones I've seen are blue. If that link doesnt work here's the part # FPGOS34308R. (translation: FelPro Gasket Oil Seal 34308R). Tell your parts guy to put that in his pipe and smoke it.

From what year XJ dose the valve cover gasket come from? mines a 93 with the HD factory aluminum cover and I'm getting the retarded parts guy look as well.

i just went to a local mom and pop auto parts store on friday and asked for a fel pro rubber molded valve cover gasket for my 89. i must have got lucky, he looked at me and said " sure, no problem, lets look in the book. sorry i dont have it in stock but i have a delivery coming in a few hours and can have them add it to my order." thanks, i will be back in a few hours. i probably paid a little more for it($50), but i never get the hassles that i get when i go to one of the chain auto parts stores(autozone, pepboys).

part number for my 89 with the aluminum cover is VS-50522-T

not sure if it will fit the 93 though.

well i used to work in a "mom -n- pop" auto store which also had a garage in the back. if we didn't have the part we always got it for the customer.

rule #1: the customer is ALWAYS right
rule #2: if the customer is EVER wrong SEE rule #1.:doh:

napa lost me as a customer cause they pissed me off. so far i have had no problems with auto zone or advanced auto, but the A&A up here is a bit pricey for my pockets.

as for the replacement of the gaskets i've always used the "blue goo" rtv sealant. threw out the cork & rubber ones.that stuff dont leak .... very often. it just seals better than the manufactured gaskets.:rolleyes:

thats just my 2 cents thougfh.

cracked-butt said:
well i used to work in a "mom -n- pop" auto store which also had a garage in the back. if we didn't have the part we always got it for the customer.

rule #1: the customer is ALWAYS right
rule #2: if the customer is EVER wrong SEE rule #1.:doh:

napa lost me as a customer cause they pissed me off. so far i have had no problems with auto zone or advanced auto, but the A&A up here is a bit pricey for my pockets.

as for the replacement of the gaskets i've always used the "blue goo" rtv sealant. threw out the cork & rubber ones.that stuff dont leak .... very often. it just seals better than the manufactured gaskets.:rolleyes:

thats just my 2 cents thougfh.

I've covered making the earlier valve covers not leak in detail here before - I use the cork gasket (which I prefer over rubber, for that application) and LocTite #518 "Gasket Eliminator" to help the gasket along. Stuff works great! I haven't used RTV blue in years - stuff doesn't work for me (I'll usually use black for general purpose work, or copper for high-temp or any self-grounding sensor.)

Oh - and I did retail parts for a while. There are some cases where the customer is wrong - but if you explain patiently and clearly why what they're doing won't work and what will, you can make yourself a very loyal customer. Just telling them that it won't work isn't enough - offer another solution. Fortunately, by the time I held down a counter, I'd already been swinging wrenches for the best part of 20 years, and had learned more than a few tricks of my own...

Originaly Posted by 5-90
There are some cases where the customer is wrong - but if you explain patiently and clearly why what they're doing won't work and what will, you can make yourself a very loyal customer.

lmao yea i know 5-90, but a lot of the time when they are ALREADY pissed it's hard to explain anything to them!! lol.

cracked-butt said:
lmao yea i know 5-90, but a lot of the time when they are ALREADY pissed it's hard to explain anything to them!! lol.

No argument there! I've had them walk in pissed, walk out after not listening to me, come back more pissed, and then come back a third time (after listening to me) humbled. You just have to be able to weather the storm...

I find that, after you've resolved a situation like that, word spreads very quickly that you've helped them - and more people will start to listen to you. It's a chance to prove that you know what you're about, and it can serve you very well in future!

I've had excellent luck with "The Right Stuff", comes in a cheese-wiz-type dispenser can... meets all OEM factory specs for gas and oil resistance etc., and is sensor-friendly... as for the deer-in-the-headlights look from parts-counter guys, try this one on for size... couple years ago, rebuilt a 440 for my Ramcharger... called a local chain for main crankshaft bearings... gave her the year, make model, engine size and bearing underbore size... came back on the phone with two wheel bearing part numbers... explained no less than three times what I needed, and still kept asking what size spindle I had!

Back