• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dilemma: 33's open or 31's with lockers on 3.55's? 30/44

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
okay okay i run an 89 4.0 30/35 (going to 30/44 this weekend), 3.55's with 33's on my 3.5" lift with alotta trimming. im thinking 33's open, 31's locked front and rear. right now i run 33's open, i want to go down to 31's, with auto lockers front and rear. is the power gain from the 31's and the less stress on the drive train worth the smaller tire size? think yes, but what do you guys think? i guess lockers add alotta stress too though...
!!!1

well...

Yes, In general, 31s locked will get you more places than 33s open. Yes, although still not ideal, you would have much less strain with the 31s and 3.55s (most consider 4.10s ideal for 31s, 4.56s for 33s).

But for evolution's sake...

Are your tires bad/worn now, and you NEED new ones? Are you having any other issues, making you want smaller tires? If not, you may be happier putting the money for new tires into re-gearing instead. Then lock it when you can, the good thing about lunchbox lockers is they don't require resetting the backlash, and are easy to install.

Last edited:
I would go with at least 32s. Locked F/R with 3.55s you will be fine unless you try to do some severe rock crawling. If you have the means to regear to at least 4.10s then do and keep your 33s if your rig is a DD. If your rig is trail use only then go to 4.56s or even 4.88s.

locked f/r on 35s on stock drivetrain for about a year. never broke a shaft, and it took me quite a few places. built an 8.8, and 44 though. but id say with up to 33s you have nothing to worry about

I'd say if your current tires don't need replacement, keep them and go rear locker with a regear to 4.56 or 4.88s. That way you get a big gain in power from the lower gears, you keep the diff clearance of the 33s, and even just a rear locker will take you many places.

I run 3.73 with stock tires and it works for me but I don't do many rocks. For any real offing with any bigger tire I would go with deeper gear,

blondejoncherokee said:
okay okay i run an 89 4.0 30/35 (going to 30/44 this weekend), 3.55's with 33's on my 3.5" lift with alotta trimming. im thinking 33's open, 31's locked front and rear. right now i run 33's open, i want to go down to 31's, with auto lockers front and rear. is the power gain from the 31's and the less stress on the drive train worth the smaller tire size? think yes, but what do you guys think? i guess lockers add alotta stress too though...
!!!1

Keep the 33s lock it and when in the budget re gear. I would not go down in tire size unless there are drivability issues for you related to 33s?

If you don't plan on regearing (anytime soon), I'd go with 31's locked F/R over open 33's any day...I have in the past and never regreted it. Going open 33's will only be a better choice with the mall crawler or web wheeler crowd.

Back