• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ox locker shifter

redneck1939

NAXJA Forum User
im lookin into buying a ox locker for the front and rear. but i really dont know were to mount the shifters does anyone have info/pics? thanks

-joey

I would think some where near yout 4wd shifter. But also make it "easy to get to" because you will have to adjust the cable every 2-3 uses. The cable will stretch. You could spend the extra money and get the pre stretch cable but it doesn't bend and conform that well.

i was thinking by the 4x4 shifter to but i really dont see room for 2 of them im hoping some one here has a pic.lol does it stop streching after a while?

I would suggest staying away from OX and go ARB with a mini compressor. I love my setup.

DSC04084.jpg

why stay away from ox? i heard they were pretty good and they come with a heavy duty cover. that set up looks cool is that just for one locker?

An OX locker would seem much more reliable to me. No air leaks to worry about, and you know when it's in and locked.

sorry didnt read the switches. i been looking but i havent found a arb locker for my rearend(8.8 out of a 97 explorer) do they? ox does thats one of the main reasons i was looking into ox locker. what are other lockers out there? i want lockers that i can lock and unlock

I don't have advice on where to mount switches...but, with the Ford 8.8, I'd look into the electric lockers. No worried (if they're valid) with ARB, and a simple switch is all you have to mount.

I've also heard (although I can't verify) that the ARB set-up requires the rear to be locked to lock the front. I'd rather have the flexibility to lock/unlock each independently.

BTW...I'm currently looking for an 8.8...love the disk breaks available on them, and the toughness (more tough that the D44?).

im not really that intested in electrtic lockers i would love to stay with ox or arb unless something comes up that changes my mind. i think 8.8 is stronger then d44. could the ox shifter be mounted by on the floor between the door and seat? or would it be to tight to get to? i cant picture it in my head

cant help you with the shifter question...

but the ox vs arb..

has no end...

i like ox...sounds nicer than arb..."the name that is"....

hahaha jk...

im going detroit rear, front ox..cuz i like the cover and strong as hell

I apologize for not currently having any Pics, but Because of the stiffness of the cable, it will be tough to have it mounted by your shift levers. That cable likes to be as straight as possible. I routed mine through the fire wall near my left tire and straight to the left side of my seat. We all have a little area there, where the seat mounts, that the lever sits perfect, and out of the way. I can easily reach down like to adjust my seat, but I just pull and set the lever in place and its done, in and out. For now I hope that helps a little.

I've been running OX'S front and rear 30/44 on my DD for about two years now 30-40 miles a day. I have had to problem. The first time adjusting the cables is a little bit of a pain but after that it is all good.

thanks that does help alot ill have to look into mounting my shifters there. what did you mount yours in did you make a box for them or?

Eaton e-locker is available for the 8.8 rear. Works good for me, no cables to adjust no air lines to destroy. The wire can easily be routed so that it is protected from harm. As for where to mount ox shifters, I would consider the following.

Transmission tunnel, best way would be to build a small bracket that attaches to the tunnel to hold shifters level.

Floorboard as close to the seat as possible to keep you from kicking them.

Staying on the subject of adjustment. How was that? Did you place the jeep on jacks so you could see the engagement or what? And, how much adjustment was required before you hit the magic spot?

I don't have pics, but I mounted my Ox shifters on the tranny tunnel, just forward of the edge of the front seats, rear on the driver's side, front on the pass side. Routed the cables about a foot away from the controller through a slot I cut in the tunnel, front over the tranny and down the CA, through the upper gap inboard of the ball joint and around the front coil. The rear cable went straight back along the trans tunnel, zip-tied up to the e-brake bracket and near the shock and then down and curved around to the diff cover. Keep as big a radius as possible in the cables so they don't kink.

And the cable stretch thing makes sense. I had to adjust my rear after the inaugural run, works great now. The front just disengaged for the forst time last Saturday, so I'll be adjusting that as well. The important thing is to not thread the cable too deeply into the diff cover, as you lose adjustability at the controller.

I finally washed all the mud and gunk off of the Jeep yesterday, and removed about a cord of wood from one tire/wheel bead. It was dark by then, so I'll have to adjust my front cable tonight or tomorrow.

Back