• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

true track ?

klcs

NAXJA Forum User
I just had a detroit true track installed in my front d30 with 4.56.When I turn right or left at slow speeds it makes a whining sound only when its at normal temp not when its cold. Any one know why or had this problem?

It's the clutch packs chattering. Make sure they added a slip modifier to the gear oil. Need 4-7 oz added to the gear oil. If they say they did, add a few oz more. it will quiet it down. Don't ingnore it. It will prematurely wear the clutch packs.

DaffyXJ said:
It's the clutch packs chattering. Make sure they added a slip modifier to the gear oil. Need 4-7 oz added to the gear oil. If they say they did, add a few oz more. it will quiet it down. Don't ingnore it. It will prematurely wear the clutch packs.
The Detroit True Trac is a "geared" limited slip. You do not need any friction modifier. Just run whatever kind of diff lube you want in it. I have one in my 29 spline 8.25 that I set-up myself and I do not have any whine in it. I think you issue is more of a "new gear break in" type of a thing and should go away after some break in.

xjtrailrider said:
The Detroit True Trac is a "geared" limited slip. You do not need any friction modifier. Just run whatever kind of diff lube you want in it. I have one in my 29 spline 8.25 that I set-up myself and I do not have any whine in it. I think you issue is more of a "new gear break in" type of a thing and should go away after some break in.

Yeah My bad, mix it with the trac loc. SH*& happens.

xjtrailrider said:
Yea I put one in the rear myself but I had someone put one in the front.The helical gears I think need to break in.

Mine made wierd noises when I turned as well, especially when in four wheel drive. It was broken, had mucho slop in it.

Back