• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

9" rearend

89cherokeexj

NAXJA Forum User
What do you guys think. I have a 9" here at my house. Is it comparable to a d44?? I want to go long arm lift and bigger tires so know looking into axle upgrades, thanks.

I would say a 9" would be a pretty good improvement over a D44.

I've just heard the housings are kinda weak? Not too sure. I'm not a ford guy so don't quote me.

I'd rather have an 8 3/4...Mopar > All :worship:

A ford 9" can be built to be just a strong if not stronger than a Dana 60. The main thing is you'll want to truss it, they like to bend/twist sometimes. I have one from a 77 f-150 going under the rear of mine.

I have one from a 67 ford f100 that is going under mine. The great thing is that if you have the big bearing ends, then late model ford explorer disk brakes are a direct bolt up.

The 9" is a great axle. Like was said, if you can't get the beefy factory housing, have someone gusset and reinforce it for you. A 9" diameter ring gear and 31 spline axles stock are sweet, and you can upgrade to 35 or I believe even 40 spline aftermarket shafts. The low hanging offset pinion is the only knock I ever hear on 9" diffs, besides some of the housings being weak.

9's are great rear ends. Truss the housing.

I've seen a handfull of failures on huge tired rigs with 9's. They pull the snout of the pinion out of the 3rd member.

The benefit of a 9 inch and above ring gear is TWO teeth of the pinion are in contact with the ring gear. On smaller ring gears, you only have one tooth of the pinion in contact of the ring gear.

But all in all, a trussed and axled 9 is a great rear end. Wheelers and drag racers have been bitch slapping them for years. They really hold up to the abuse.

A drawback to the 9" is the super low pinion. Plenty of guys run them in the rocks but plenty of people trash their driveshafts because of it. It's an aspect to keep in mind depending on what terrain you plan to be running it on.

Pretty sure you can shave the bottom of the axle...I know Currie offers this as an option on their 9s. I wanna say the guy told me it can give you an extra inch of clearance....

i've got one out of a mod class dirt track race car going into mine. 31 spline, big bearing, trussed, and full floater kit with disc brakes.
almost every person i know at the track is using a 9". stock or gun drilled axles with 650+hp. like said, only dissadvantage is having a low pinion. I do beleive they make mini-skids for the pinion too though.

wolfpackjeeper said:
The great thing is that if you have the big bearing ends, then late model ford explorer disk brakes are a direct bolt up.

Not True. I have had several 9" big bearing housings and none of them had the right pattern for the Ford Explorer/8.8 disk brakes. Maybe you just got lucky, but not all big bearing ends fit the newer style disks. I got new bearing cups from Strange that use the big bearing and have the right bearing retainer bolt pattern for the 8.8 disks.

Also if you get aftermarket shafts with the explorer disks, be sure they have a 2.5" brake offset.

AARON

How do you tell if it is the "better" of the 9". I assume that it is out of an older truck I just dont know how old. Is there anyone to tell the spline count etc, without taking the axle apart?? Is there any` taging or markings that will give me any information about the axle, thanks for the feedback, I guess it's going in the XJ!!

if it has the tag it will tell you gears and if it is an open case. Mine is an early one that came out of a 67. If you are lucky you can find a N case which is made of nodular iron but to be honest unless you are running 35's or bigger I dont think it will matter.

I have yet to see a 31 spline with the right wheel pattern for a cherokee, but I am told that they exist. all it takes to pull the shafts are the 4 bolts on the backing plate. the third member can be a bitch to pull though.

Back