• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why is my exhaust quiet?

burkett_38

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 4.0L with a cherrybomb muffler and a punched out cat, but my jeep is still very quiet. That exhaust should be very loud, but it is just as quiet as stock. Is there anything that could be the cause of this(clogged headers?)

I have a 4.7 with no cat and a no name glass pack that is 6 years old and it is not too loud. roll the windows down or try standing behind it, it is probably louder than you think. Tailpipe does a good job of carrying the sound out the back.

why do you want it to be loud?

I just got a new muffler put on mine, but before that the old muffler was completely detached from the pipe (like having no muffler) and it wasn't loud at all!?

I guess the XJ is just silent?

The new super 40 sounds good though :D

Your header is not clogged, you would have a nice little fire in your engine bay to tell you if you did. Your muffler is not that good and will not give the results you want. The XJ 4.0 will not be obnoxiously loud, I have a Magnaflow on mine and it sounds good, not loud enough to draw the cops attention like a ricer or a performance V8, but eough to stand out a bit. You get what you pay for with mufflers most of the time. I ran cherry bombs on my Camaro back in the day when i didn't have any cash or credit so I can't fault you.

if you really wamted to make it louder (I can't understand why), you would need to replace the cat. with straight pipe (it's acting as a resonator now) and reduce the diameter and length of the exhaust syatem. None of this, mind you, is anything I would recommend nor is it generaly considered an advantage to performance or the environment.

Try a flowmaster 50 series. I have one on my 89 cherokee and tis ounds really good. I think I picked up a brand new one installed for like 80 bucks so they arent too bad, anyways good luck. Just be ready to get rolled if your jeep is loud though, the cops will be all over it..lol

if u want ur exhaust realy loud since u already have a smashed out cat just run 2-1/2 inch pipe cat back to a cherry bomb glasspack and cut the turn down of the end of ur tail pipe trust me it's one loud and great sounding combination
it's not that xj's are just quite alot of it has to do with exhaust tubing sizes bigger tubing sizes aren't just for better flow they alos help the way ur ride sounds not only the tubing size but the way it was bent manderal bent tubeing deffinatly sounds the best but it's hard to find pre bent down pipes and tail pipes for the xj's so if ur gonna do that ur best bet is to have a local shop do it for you
also depending whta year your xj is it'll probally have 2-1/4 pipe all the way back from the head pipe unless it's an 00-01 then it'll have 2-1/2 all the way back from the head pipe so u'll onlt need a glasspackthen
so basicly if u want great sound and soem preformance from ur exhaust run header with 2-1/2 manderal bent all the way back with eithe ra high flow cat or ur smashed out cat what ever u wanna use and a glasspack and if i have the tail pipe made u'll probally wanna not even have the turn down put on the end of it it' just kills your good sound

Back