• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changing front axle u joints

dspilot

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I have been off the XJ scene for a while, and have a question for you afficianados out there. How difficult is it to change the front axle u joint (cv joint?)? I have a line on another xj:clap: , but this will have to be done before I can get it home:doh: , and I will have to do it in my brother in law's garage. How long should it take a novice to moderately not novice:D wrench to do, and any special considerations that I need to be aware of?

Thanks

un bolt the wheel, the caliper, and the hub.. you will need to use a hammer/ chisel to seperate the hub from the spindle. You should be able to change the u-joints without taking the axle shaft off from the hub..

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=723666
There's another link that I wrote up about changing the ball joints and removal of the front axles. As stated the axles don't have to be removed but sometimes it does make it easier when they're in open space and can be moved whatever direction you need.

Back