• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how much lift will I get???

BPB

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 comanche, I have an chrysler 8.25 that is haveing spring pads welded on as we speak, How much lift do i need for the front? I know that just doing a spring over on a 35 will give you 4.5 - 5, will this be different with an 8.25?

It will be very close. If I recall, the D35 has 2.75" axle tubes and the C8.25 has 3" axle tubes. Now since it is a round tube, you will take half of the 1/4" difference, being 1/8" and that will be your starting net gain between the two axles. And after you get your new perches welded on for your SOA, measure how high they sit on tip of your axle. and that will come into account for how much more of less it will get you in comparison to the D35 you had before. Wow, I just made that sound very confusing! All in all, w/ the C8.25 done with a SOA set up, you should need around 5" up front.

Just an FYI, if you've got a lot of MJ specific questions, check out www.comancheclub.com It's a great site with a lot of great info and great people. Not as many hose-heads as there are at this place.

As far as the SOA goes, there is more that goes into the equation than just the axle tube diameter. What spring perches are you using? Was your MJ 4wd from the factory, or did you convert a 2wd to 4wd? The 4wd had a taller stock height to begin with, so it will end up sitting higher than the 2wd rear spring will. If you want to lower the rear at all, swap in some 2wd springs. When I owned my MJ, I also did SOA with the 8.25. Mine was 4wd from the factory, and I ended up with around 6-7" of lift. Some of that was also due to the spring perches I purchased, which sat taller off of the axle than the stock XJ type perches do. All of this adds up- In height and in cost. Your lift height will be: axle tube diameter + spring pack thickness + spring perch height(most people forget this part).

In the rear it's no big deal, but the front will give you problems because so much more is affected by an inch or two. 7" is a lot to stuff under the front of a Jeep, not that it can't be done. I ran Rubicon Express drop brackets, tall springs and a spring spacer, and a TNT track bar, and a drop pitman arm. I sold it before I did anything else with the steering, but it wasn't all that bad. I ran 33's, but I could've fit 35's if I wanted to trim. You'll also need to be conscious of your brake situation. Read around for the WJ master and booster swap, it's well worth the time.

Good luck with the build, but the guys at ComancheClub will have a lot more info on the SOA.

Back