• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1989 XJ for $650 - Need Thoughts Please

MischiefMan

NAXJA Forum User
OK...as any of you who have read my posts know, I am having issues with my '86. Well, today I stumbled across an ad for an '89 2 door for $650. I didn't think to ask what tranny was in it, but it does have the 4.0L. The interior is basically gone and driver's side door and front fender are "pretty beat up." The guy said it does run and is drivable, but it hasn't been licensed or inspected in over a year. He bought it for strickly offroad use. I haven't gone to look at it, so that's basically all the info I have.

I'm concerned that I'll end up with something else that is another project. I'm a poor college student trying to survive so money isn't in abundance. :laugh3:

What should I be looking for when I go look at this thing? The damage to the door and fender concerns me.

Like I said last night. 2+2= one bad XJ!

isnt the 86 immune now for emissions? 21 year rule I think it was? If that is the case mix the two jeeps and use all the laws from '86 with the 89 gear.

He atleast our Jeeps can go out drinking w/ us.

If you can't afford to fix the one you have now or, don't know how to fix the one you have...why buy another one that you won't be able to fix? ;)

Yano Dirt, I don't think you ever responded to my question about whether you've ever owned a 2.8L or if you just repeat other trash others say.

As for being able to fix them, ability isn't the issue. Putting good money out for bad is an issue with me however.

Not being able to do work and determine if I've fixed the problem without having to pay $39.75 every two trips to the emissions inspector get very old very fast!

1986XJIan said:
Yano Dirt, I don't think you ever responded to my question about whether you've ever owned a 2.8L or if you just repeat other trash others say.
Sorry, I have a tendancy to ignore retards. I can afford to tear up my 2k xj. I looked at a 2.8 once and was smart enough to stay way back.

1986XJIan said:
As for being able to fix them, ability isn't the issue. Putting good money out for bad is an issue with me however.
You seriously sound retarded now..You could buy something reliable for 3k.

1986XJIan said:
Not being able to do work and determine if I've fixed the problem without having to pay $39.75 every two trips to the emissions inspector get very old very fast!
Uhhhh guys...I have a 1986 xj with a 2.8.. It's a real piece of shit. I don't know why though... It's only 22 years old.

22 is prime age for a stripper...not a vehicle.

:cool:

Who the hell likes a 22 yr old stripper, 18 my friend.

That's what his dog is for.

jrsdongjk8.jpg

Hey Dirt... I have an 86 2.8L and it runs great! I wheel it all the time and have NEVER had a problem I couldn't fix within a few hours. No major breakdowns OR breakage. It's all in how ppl have taken care if it. And don't take your anger out on other ppl ok? Its not very mature.

Look at him, does that face scream maturity...I don't think so.

1986XJIan said:
Ah, the Internet....a place where anyone can feel tough, important, and like he makes a difference in the world. I hope you truly feel superior man.
I simply made a statement the first time. Complete with winky smiley dude. Don't hate on me 'cause you drive a pile of shit.

Just so you know... I feel tough and important away from the internet as well. ;) <---winky smiley dude again!

xxmidianxx said:
Hey Dirt... I have an 86 2.8L and it runs great! I wheel it all the time and have NEVER had a problem I couldn't fix within a few hours. No major breakdowns OR breakage. It's all in how ppl have taken care if it.

You're 100% right! If you have the time, money, resources and skills...you can go a long way... with any vehicle! However, our friend has made it abundantly clear that, he has none of those.

xxmidianxx said:
And don't take your anger out on other ppl ok? Its not very mature.

Thanks for the counseling but, I'm not angry...just honest.

This place has turned into the vagina of the internet.

Last edited:
I actually agree with Dirt
Most any $650 vehicle is a project, trust me I've done all the research there is on that one. He's allready telling you that it isnt even worth getting legal so he just abused the hell out of it as a toy, it's all in interpetation. Dont you think you could take your 2.8 to the shop and get it fixed properly with that $650? then you could actually save money and buy a vehicle that has a better motor.
or you could buy a toyota so when people ask if you have sand in your Taco you wont be as offended.

I appreciate the responses, I truly do. All opinions are always welcome. I was, however, looking for something useful however....

As for trying to get my toy to pass inspection, it is kind of a necessity. The law enforcement community frowns on driving to and from 4-wheeling locations without a valid inspection sticker. I suppose I could turn my Porsche into a tow vehicle, but that doesn't sound real practicle; hence the need to have a street legal 4x4.

Sure, I don't have loads of coin to dump into this particular hobby, but that doesn't mean that I should just walk away from it. Sure, I could take the '86 to a shop, but where's the fun in that?

But back to the original question. If the motor and drive train are good, what else should I be looking at in the '89?

look for rusty floorboards, rusty rockers, look at the inside of the radiator if you can, look inside the oil fill cap, look at the battery tray, stick your finger in the diffs, check color of tranny fluid. test 4wd for function, test hvac for function, etc.

In other words, if you're buying a used vehicle, inspect it ;)

Back