• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

unibody problems question

rubiconrescue

NAXJA Forum User
heres ya three questions. looking for those that know from first hand instead of "i heard that........"

1. if i loose my doors with no cage with i be hurting my uni...( i have no cage at the moment (until summer) and i have no uni stiffiners.

2. what if i take off my hatch with no cage? will it hurt the unibody?

3. what if i loose all three?< im pretty sure this needs a good cage and stiffiners:nono:>

it will fold like a taco with out doors

open all the doors and hatch and go flex it, see what happens.

Last edited:
From the reading I have done about XJs the doors do not offer any structural reinforcement. In other words, you should be able to take them off without it your rig "folding like a taco." I personally don't see a need to remove the hatch, but I have seen MANY XJs wheeled hard without doors or cages and none of them folded or snapped or bent.

unibodies are inherently flexy. The doors and hatch don't add to the rigidity, just safety during collisons. But 89XJ brings up a good point. Go flex you jeep, and if you open the hatch, you won't be able to close it again.

Frame stiffeners will help, but nothing will really stiffen things up like cage. So, in other words, you'll be fine wheeling without the doors and cage. Basically, your unibody is going to flex and creak whether it has doors or not. If you wanna take them off, pull them off. good luck.

rubiconrescue said:
heres ya three questions. looking for those that know from first hand instead of "i heard that........"

1. if i loose my doors with no cage with i be hurting my uni...( i have no cage at the moment (until summer) and i have no uni stiffiners.

3. what if i loose all three?< im pretty sure this needs a good cage and stiffiners:nono:>

My 2 year old niece could put words together better :rolleyes:

rubiconrescue said:

Bad things will happen.

Back