• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Emissions problem

jeep40driver

NAXJA Forum User
2000 xj sport v6 4.0 every year since I had this xj when they would hook it up to emissions it would say "system not ready" but if I drive it around for a half hour and come back and hook it up with out turning engine off it will go right through and pass. any thoughs from the Xj gods?

Catalytic converter not up to operating temp. It's always a good idea to smog test it after it's at regular operating temp. I think the fuel maps are also in a "warm-up" mode until it reaches temp; that could be why it won't let the computer test it till it's hot.

yeah my mechanic seems to think it's something with the computer system but It's not really a problem to take it for a spin and go back as long as it keeps passing emissions I'm not really worried about just thought maybe someone knows what the heck is going on or someone had a similar problem . thanks for your help

nate

might be the constant battery feed to the computer has a blown fuse...it just relearns everything every time you restart the engine. if not a fuse than a bad wire?...the computer seems to be resetting itself every time you key the truck off.

try fuse 22 under the hood ,should be a blue 15A. The wire from the fuse to the pcm should be dark green w/a black tracer ending in pcm connector C1cavity 22. I tried to simplify it as much as possible but it really can get pretty complex if you aren't experienced.

If you don't have one, get to a parts or electronics store and get a basic Digital Multimeter. they start at about $10. pm or e-mail for more help. I've been kinda spotty online as of late.

How long do you let it run when you first hook it up? You really want to make sure the engine, fluids, exhaust and cat are all nicely warmed before you take it in to the tailpipe sniffers.

By the way, the last year there was a V6 in the Cherokee was 1986 - it had the Inline-6 (aka I6) 4.0L engine available from 1987-2001.

And as for 4-post calling out 65-post...
rolleye.gif

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Back