• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

all 44 bearing caps the same?

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

im at school right now, and im having somebody set up the gears in my 44 while im gone. problem is my brother cant find the bearing caps, and im at school. ive got a friend with a dissassembled 44 right now. could i just use those caps to set up the 44, untill i find mine

wishihad1 said:
hey everybody

im at school right now, and im having somebody set up the gears in my 44 while im gone. problem is my brother cant find the bearing caps, and im at school. ive got a friend with a dissassembled 44 right now. could i just use those caps to set up the 44, untill i find mine
Kind of,they are "match" machined from the factory.You can have the caps milled and align-bored for a fix!

The bearing caps are assembled to the housing and then machined. Because of that each cap will only work in its original position on the housing it was set up for. You can't switch them left and right or between housings. What the other guy was saying is that mismatched ones could be re-machined to make them work with your axle housing. Unless you get the originals and put them back exactly where they came from you are not going to be able to successfully set up your gears or anything else.

I dont know why you couldnt set up the gears using another pair of caps or for that matter, no caps if your carrier fits good and snug in the housing.
Obviously you couldnt run it without caps and because the caps are machined with the housing, you shouldnt run it with the wrong caps, but just to set it up, I dont think it would matter.

Last edited:
I'd not want to chance it. You probably wouldn't see any significant variation in pinion depth or ring backlash just from changing caps - but why chance it?

Get a set of D44 caps, and put them on a belt grinder - knock off .002-.004" from the mating surface. Have the caps rebored/rehoned to match up with the housing, and you'd better match-mark them before you do! Et viola! You have a new set of caps for your D44.

yes i know this thread is a month old, but i just sold a d44 housing and shafts to a fellow naxja member, i didnt relize it didnt have the bearing caps in it, if i can find him another set to use would it be really difficult to make them work?

Yes,you have to grind the bearing surfaces and then have it align-bored.Probably cost as much as a jy housing(if not more)!Plus trying to find someone capable of doing it.

5-90 said:
I'd not want to chance it. You probably wouldn't see any significant variation in pinion depth or ring backlash just from changing caps - but why chance it?

When I set up my front 60, I inadvertantly swapped the caps. With the bolts properly torqued, the carrier was almost un-spinnable. I spent about a half hour pulling backlash shims out before I realized what the problem was.

Pinion depth wouldn't be affected...but there's no sense in even checking a pattern if your backlash isn't right, which it may or may not be depending on the individual cap situation.

vetteboy said:
When I set up my front 60, I inadvertantly swapped the caps. With the bolts properly torqued, the carrier was almost un-spinnable. I spent about a half hour pulling backlash shims out before I realized what the problem was.

Pinion depth wouldn't be affected...but there's no sense in even checking a pattern if your backlash isn't right, which it may or may not be depending on the individual cap situation.

Now that I think on it, it makes sense. Probably why I'm just hardwired to match-mark things before I take them to bits anyhow...

Back