• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my Slow Starts / Starter problems??

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
OK... after reading here and searching I wasn't sure regarding what I found. So here's my situation. I have a '96 XJ, 4.0L Auto... about 217K miles... and the same battery since I bought it used about 6 years back. Also the OE Starter as best I can tell.

The past week or so my Jeep has been getting harder and harder to start. Starts slower and takes longer, almost like the batter was failing. I had recently replaced the Alternator w/a 135amp new one. So I go into A-zone and have them do a test. Mind you, once the XJ started it ran fine. The test says I need to charge the battery and retest. But it also showed 12.8 volts or something like that. From my past experiences this sounded like a dying battery. I replaced it w/a new Duralast Gold 610cca battery there in the parking lot. Darn near the same thing happened when I went to start up the Jeep... waa waa waaa... Vroom... fired up and ran just fine. It didn't turn over or crank w/any authority at all. Sounded like the battery was almost dead and this one was new and fully charged. ... it just barely cranks and then fires right up and runs like a top. Lights are actually even a little brighter than before.

So I drive it around about 2-4 miles and then pull in my driveway... turn it off, then try and start it up again and it gives me a little bit of grinding sound (like a bad starter) and barely turned over ... then just starts right up and runs fine. I'm thinking I have a bad starter, but don't want to throw more money at it unless I'm sure it'll fix the problem.

The battery terminals look good, and cable 'appears' to be good but I'm not sure.

I don't want to thru anymore unecessary money at this XJ but will do what's needed to fix it.

Suggestions? I wish there was a way to check the starter w/it still mounted to the car. Does this have to be done w/the starter off the vehicle?

Sounds like my problem 2 weeks ago. Thought it was a dying battery...changed it there at Autozone... still slow starts...a couple of hours later and a new starter and problem solved. My previous XJ had a starter go bad with no sighns of slow starts but did the grinding thing. Had to be replaced. Sounds like you have 2 of the symptoms mine had. Hope this helps. Good Luck

You need to determine if you are getting full battery voltage at the starter. When this happens, take a multimeter and check for 12 volts at the starter itself. If you have it, then your starter is suspect. Get it tested and replace it if necessary. Could very easily be your problem.

If you don't have correct voltage, then start working your way backwards. The problem then could be a cable/connection of some sort resulting in voltage drop which can result in starting problems.

Thanks for the info...

To check the voltage at the starter for 12 volts, does this need to be done w/the key in a certain position? On, Cranking, Off ??

Back