• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric Window Stuck Open

SuperRoo

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys,
I've done a search but cannot find exactly what i'm after.
The front passenger side window is stuck 1/4 down (It was only lowered by 1/4). Neither the drivers door control or the passenger door switch will raise or lower it.
I swapped the switch over but still all i'm getting is a slight clicking when working the switch from both drivers and passenger side.
The window was difficult to raise last sunday, but seemed to be ok later on when the wife used it.
I've checked each of the rear windows from their own switches and they work fine. So i guess that rules out any central locking maladies.
My 1st priority is to raise the window, but after taking off the door trim, i'm afraid i am no wiser.
In other vehicles i've been able to see the motor and disengage it from the glass, but unfortunately i'm not sure where to start.
My 2nd is to fix the problem. Dead motor?

Thanks in advance

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1988 Cherokee Laredo, 4WD, Auto, 4.0litre -and it's Left Hand Drive in London...:firedevil

this may be of temporary help-did you try tapping on the motor when trying to raise the window? I went through the excact same thing-finally gave the motor a good whack and up went the window. I told the guy I bought it from who laughed and said he forgot to mention sometimes you have to smack the door panel to get that window up.

I just had this in my 2000. Somewhere in a search here I found that the wire loom in the drivers door to the kick panel has a habit of braking wires. Opened mine up and sure enough there were three including the passenger front that were broke and 4 that the insulation was cracked. A few connectors later my pass window worked, and the others i havent figured out what they do but somethings getting juice now.

Cheers guys,
No xtp45lc i didn't smack the panel or tap the motor, but something I will try.
I don't get home till after 10pm in the evening so i guess cbarto, it'll have to be the weekend till i can investigate further, thanks for the link rstarch345, i'll check that cable end too.

sometimes on the older jeeps, the wiring under the carpet, under the driver's foot well gets corroded and causes some window problems. if you can pull the carpet back and look at the wiring, you may see some broken or corroded wires from moisture

Thanks for all your suggestions, my real priority is to close this window, any ideas as it stands, I can then hunt down the problem or am I first going to have to figure out the problem on why it is not working?

Thanks guys for all your suggestions. Sometimes the most simple basic things should be tried first.

I whacked the black thingy (motor?) and guess what? The window went up. Having not even attempted doing that originally, well...I guess you know how stupid I feel now:doh:

Just one question, can this thing be fixed, to save it happening again? I guess it is on its way out...

Back