• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242?

mcnamaag

NAXJA Forum User
Short and sweet. Does the pump in the 242 t-case run when it is in 2wd? I ask because mine leaks when in 4x4 but not when in 2wd. Any ideas? What (seal) would cause this? Everytime I think I have all the leaks fixed BAM another pops up.
:patriot:

Anyone?

My theory on my 231 is when in 4x4 the chain stirs up the fluid and erupts through a leak up top side gasket area(?). I'm thinking the chain dont move when in 2 wheel drive, I could be wrong, .... Oh, wait I have a 2000 xj... not sure now, if the shaft does turn anyway. I would appreciate it if some one could correct me on this. thanks

mcnamaag said:
Short and sweet. Does the pump in the 242 t-case run when it is in 2wd? I ask because mine leaks when in 4x4 but not when in 2wd. Any ideas? What (seal) would cause this? Everytime I think I have all the leaks fixed BAM another pops up.

The oil pump in the 242 like the 231 is operated by the rear output shaft, so Yes it works every time the vehicle is moving. Have you looked at the front output seal and the shift linkage seal? It does seem odd that it only leaks in 4wd, but it could be coincidence..

If the leak is not bad consider it a rust preventative treatment, mine leaks about a quarter pint a year. I might fix it when I swap the 231 out and put a 242 in my 98's 5 speed but I generally change my TC's fluid every year or year and a half.

Clean-RC said:
The oil pump in the 242 like the 231 is operated by the rear output shaft, so Yes it works every time the vehicle is moving. Have you looked at the front output seal and the shift linkage seal? It does seem odd that it only leaks in 4wd, but it could be coincidence..

Kinda what I thought. Yea my bet is the front output seal as well, guess I just needed a kick in the ass to go get one and get it changed. As far as rust-proofing..... To each their own. LOL Just kiddin, yea it deff works well for that. Thanks all.

Back