• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Speed

89cherokeexj

NAXJA Forum User
I am interested in the rules and regulations for the Jeep Speed race classes. I just want to know how much trouble it is to make a Jeep Speed...

alot of time, work and money. Things you need are: high dollar shocks($600 each), quality springs(deaver?), suspension system of choice, fuel cell, full roll cage(get SCORE rulebook and build to those regulations), racing seats/harnesses, window nets, fire extinguishers, first aid kit, massive unibody reinforcement, radio/intercomm, fluid coolers, hydraulic bumpstops are highly recomended, SA rated helmet and firesuit. Things that will make life much easier are fresh air pumpers, GPS, and a good set of lights as some of the races are night races. I am sure I am forgetting some crucial things but the $$ adds up really fast. If you are unexperienced at fabricating you may want to look into buying a pre-built truck. Lots of more info in the jeepspeed forums. Good luck!
Here is my work in progress:
IMG_0851.jpg

IMG_0860.jpg

well the rig is currently undergoing yet more rear susp work so it is immobile and not alot of room to snap a pic but this is the best I could do. It should be a roller in the next week so I can get a better pic if you need one:
IMG_0864.jpg

no that's perfect... is it extremely difficult to get into? OR is your steering wheel removable (from the pic it looks removable)? wonder how bad it would be w/ an actualy wheel inplace.....

uncc civilengineer said:
no that's perfect... is it extremely difficult to get into? OR is your steering wheel removable (from the pic it looks removable)? wonder how bad it would be w/ an actualy wheel inplace.....
the wheel is removable but it is still a little hard to get in and out, even with the wheel removed. Our column is tiltable also and goes pretty high up so we can sneak past it ok when it is installed, but it is still a little hard to get in and out. I'm sure if the truck caught fire there would be no problem undoing the window net and hopping out dukes of hazzard style though. Good luck

GrimmJeeper said:
damn chris i love that jeep. do you still have the white one too?
Thanks Mike! Still have the white one too, I am doing some rear shock hoops with some 14" travel 2.5 Kings through the floor, and then selling it to fund a tow rig, at least that is the plan as of now, have all the parts just need the time and weather.

Very nice Jeep. I thank you for all your responses, I am just looking at the money and time I would be getting into to build my cherokee into a Jeep Speed. I noticed yours was a 2-door are the 4-doors allowed?? Also let me know when your ready to get rid of that Jeep and how much, thanks again!!

89cherokeexj said:
Very nice Jeep. I thank you for all your responses, I am just looking at the money and time I would be getting into to build my cherokee into a Jeep Speed. I noticed yours was a 2-door are the 4-doors allowed?? Also let me know when your ready to get rid of that Jeep and how much, thanks again!!
I can sell the jeep anytime, pm me for details. As for time and money, sheesh, everybody is different. If you scrounge around really hard for used shocks and other goodies(generally a bad idea to buy used springs) you may be able to get away with $15k, some guys have spent over $50k on thier JS rigs so it really all depends on how kush you want it to be and how many spare parts you have. Time is another story, I have been working on mine for 2-years, of course I am married with kids and work full time so not much time to work on it. There is a build thread on the JS forum where a guy has a running $total$ and time stamps so you could follow along, Lafortune and his crew built one in 10-days for JP mag so I guess there are extremes to everything. Good luck!

Back