• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bad power steering pump?

snmstuntbikr

NAXJA Forum User
ok Ive searched and read but just want to make sure I have the right solution before I change the ps pump tonight.

Heres the situation: for a while I had a squealing coming from up front, keep in mind the steering worked fine, no problems. I replaced the belt and while the old one was off I checked all the pulleys for drag and play and the only thing that was loose was the ps pump shaft.

I replaced the belt with a gatorback and was tensioned correctly; the sound lessened for a day then last night when driving with my wheel turned I heard lots of grinding and screatching.

I got home and checked the fluid, its filled up, not overfull; doesnt smell burnt and is amber in color.

Would you say that my ps pump is shot? or something else?

I had the exact same thing happen when I first bought my jeep and replaced the entire cooling system. I am used to fords and did not realize how tight the belt needs to be. Tighten the belt to where you can barely twist it 90 degrees and I will bet you it will stop.

ok as FordGuy said I tightened the belt more and the noise did go away for a couple days but today the noise came back only when I had my front defroster on and only when turning.

Now Im even more confused. any ideas?

Back