• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

found 8.8 for cheap

NCCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Found an 8.8 with discs, 4.10 gears, and a limited slip. It is on a cherokee, so its a bolt in (except for the driveshaft). guy wants $300, i think I can talk him down a bit.

I don't exactly have a ton of cash, so if I move on it I want to make sure its a good upgrade. The main concern is that when its time for new tires, I'll be stepping up to 33s. I'm worried about 33s with 4.10s. I know I can pick this axle up cheaper than I can regear the 8.25, but I don't want to end up regearing it. Think I should move on this axle?

edit: its from a 98 explorer

Grab it fast. Thats a super deal even if you need to regear but I doubt you will.

FWIW, I run an AW4, 4.10's and 33's.
It sucks. I don't like it at all. Doggy as heck.
Most of my driving is done in "3", even on the highway.

It's livable, but not optimal.

I'd love to go 4.88's.

see thats the other consideration, the 8.25 cant go to 4.88s. can the 8.8 be regeared to 4.88?

NCCherokee said:
see thats the other consideration, the 8.25 cant go to 4.88s. can the 8.8 be regeared to 4.88?

Right.

4.88 is as low as you can go if you're still running a D30.

Haleyes how old is your Jeep? I have 33's with the stock 3.55's and a AW4 and its not that bad. It's actually pretty quick around town, on the highway the acceleration is lacking but manageable. JW as it seems 4.10s would be pretty optimal for 33's.

My XJ is a 96, 110,000 miles.

I went from 4.10's and 30's to 4.10's and 33's. Big difference.
I really liked the low end grunt with the 30's. So, making that jump made it out to be the suckage.

Ah, understandable. I have never driven a stock cherokee either, only ridden as mine had some 32's on it when I bought it so maybe I don't know what I'm missing.

Awesome deal, move on it quick. The 4.10s will be completely bearable with 33's, but plan on regearing eventually. 4.10's will be better than 3.55's, that's for sure, and there are plenty of people on here running stock(3.55 or 3.07) gears on larger than stock tires.

IIRC, the correct gear ratio for the stock tire size to stock gear ratio ratio ends up being something like 4.30something. So 4.56 is the closest, so you don't have to regear for 35's, but the people who have run smaller tires on a sweet gear ratio(4.88's on 30's) think you need to be significantly overgeared from the stock ratio. My dad's Rubi(he's got 265 tires on 4.10 gears) get AWFUL gas mileage, but is like driving a go-kart, peppy as all get out.

NCCherokee said:
Found an 8.8 with discs, 4.10 gears, and a limited slip. It is on a cherokee, so its a bolt in (except for the driveshaft). guy wants $300, i think I can talk him down a bit.

I don't exactly have a ton of cash, so if I move on it I want to make sure its a good upgrade. The main concern is that when its time for new tires, I'll be stepping up to 33s. I'm worried about 33s with 4.10s. I know I can pick this axle up cheaper than I can regear the 8.25, but I don't want to end up regearing it. Think I should move on this axle?

edit: its from a 98 explorer

Sounds like a good buy due to the fact that it will be a bolt in. I bought one for my TJ out of an '01 Explorer with and open carrier for $250.00

Back