• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Probably Dumb but here i go

mavrick

NAXJA Forum User
When checking the fluid level in the tranny should the engine be off or on? Ive always done it off but i recall reading that it should be done while on. Theres a big difference in readings i know.

It should be warmed up and running on level ground. Assuming we're talking about an auto-trans of course.

MtnBkr said:
It should be warmed up and running on level ground. Assuming we're talking about an auto-trans of course.

Yes an auto tranny. So running and the fluid should be in between the add and fill...Damn im way low

Warmed up, running, level ground. Should also have had an opportunity to run through all the gears and should be in Neutral.

mavrick said:
Since were on the topic of levels. Do you check the engine while on or off.
Do i check what on the engine?

Tranny fluid? Running.

All others? Off and in most cases, cool.

If it's an older XJ or MJ with a A-904 auto...it better be warmed up and in neutral...the torque converter will hot hold it's fluid in park...if you check it in park it will APPEAR to be full, while in fact...it's low.

Back