• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

$1600 Budget!

94XJ2door5speed

NAXJA Forum User
So here is what i have: Stock 1994, 4.0, AX15, NP231, Dana 30 front, Chrysler 8.25 rear. So this is sitting in my dorm room parking lot and some stock flex. I want ideas for what lift, rims, and tires for sure i can do on this budget. Creativity is welcomed i.e. doesnt mean i need a recommemnded lift kit but what you would do with a stock jeep with this cash.

001.jpg

002.jpg

Stock flex is no fun!
003.jpg

004.jpg

HOLY HOLE IN THE ROCKER BATMAN!!!!

Get that fixed... then armour up, skids, tow points..

Then pony up for a nice 3" kit and some 31's...

Yup in autobody school i'm cutting the rockers out completely and making rock rails, fully plating the rails and exoing when i get to chassi fab. Want to make crusher corners and a belly skid well i can for free.

I would just get the RC 3.5" and have some money for wheels and tires..

So far you recommend a 3" lift why not 4" or 4.5" so much?

i could not stand 31's on mine with 3.07 gears (a 5-speed)
i put in some 3.55's and could not be happier, just something to consider if you plan on running 31's.

but i would recommend fixing everything mechanical on it, and replace any old hoses, change the fluids, and then i would start to play with it on a cheaper lift and 31's, maybe bumpers.

With your price range, your going to need $800 for tires/wheels at least, leaving you $800 to play, you can get the RE 3.5" kit for under that and that will give you over 4", and give you a greaaat kit.

And with only 3 inches you wont have to worry about vibes if you get a tcase drop. Find some axles from an auto jeep and swap them over, or find some from a auto with the factory tow and you might be able to get 3.73 gears with those axles.

-Alex

He can handle 4.5" with a TC drop on that XJ probably.

O i forgot when i went throught the Jeep before i drove it 500mi here i pulled both diff covers, the gears have been redone to 3.93. i know this because the ring and main caps have it written on them in paintmarker and overdose of orange RTV was a big giveaway. The RE 3.5 superflex kit with full packs is $760 The Rusty's kit was just under $700 at 4.5" with full packs and the RC was about the same. I know i am gonna need a trac bar and lower control arms so why not jump to the Rusty's kit?

Because you will end up spending 200+ on shipping with rusty's, and their trac bar has been know to fold like a taco...

Talk to Grimus, he's a RC rep, he can give you a great deal on RC lift since your red.

cheap lift, auto lockers and 31's, if you chop the fenders look at running 33's, save your self the money and build your bumpers and skids if your going to school for it!

OK see thats the information i need to know thankyou. So in your opinion 3" or 4.5" since they make both? Is my tracbar gonna cut it at 3" and my lower control arms?

3.93? I dont think that is a option, afaik it's 3.55, 3.73 or 4.10.
I allways say this when people allways ask what to do with whatever budget. MECHANICAL, make sure everything is in top shape, a $800 lift and nice tires do you no good when your stuck on the side of the freeway because a $50 part went out on you.
I had been giving a free lift kit, swapped some parts for a XJD44 and picked up a non disco HPD30, cheap tires and cheap np435/np205. I was into it for under $1000 including vehicle purchase price! Because Im kinda anal about reliability I am now into it for just under $5000, rebuilt motor, all new sensors, all NEW brakes, resealed the axles, rebuilt the trans/transfer and replacing most everything I can. Sure im into it for a ton of cash, a year in time and a bunch of fabbing but I shouldn't get stuck on the way home in a snow storm for ANY reason.
Jeremy

Last edited:
Mechanical is sound save the cracked manifold but a header was on my to do list. I think it is wierd but someone with more experience correct me here. I drained my oil on my 199,388 mile 4.0 and it was still clean. Let me correct this. I bought it with 193,000 mi. I didn't know how it was treaded previosly so i put a junk filter and oil in it for 2 tanks of gas, then changed it with a good filter and good, non synthetic oil. I am a mobil 1, royal purple kinda guy on everything but the age made me stray from my norm. I bought what was on sale, Castrol GTX. I had never ran this but after 4,500mi in the dirt, mud, rocks, highway, etc... visiting the rev limiter frequently off-roading, it looked like new oil and it had not burned any at all nor was it black or discolored in anyway!! for real it was exactly the same as when i poured it in. So is this normal? this leads me to believe that the rings are very very good so i might back it down a bit in the rpm's department before i wreck it.

Yes, stock trac bar is about at max at 3" but will work. Also your lowers will work up to 3 as well

Watch on craigslist, not even joking. You could probably get a 4+ lift, and wheels and tires to fit for under $1000 if you're patient.

Back