• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Found a beater but i have a question

FlexdXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
It has a weird problem It lost all interior power and it will crank but not start . The outside lights work though WTF is going on here, BTW its an 89 or 90 XJ waggoneer:smsoap:

So..... what have you checked so far?

I'd start with fuses. Both the interior fuse panel and the one under the hood (PDC).

Grounds! Make sure that the ground cable to the frame is present, and the strap from the rear of the engine to the firewall. That firewall strap can corrode away without being visibly bad. Remember if the cable from battery to engine block is good, it will crank, but the computer and other components get their ground from the vehicle frame.

While you're at it make sure the positive battery cables are good too.

thanks guys sorry for posting in the wrong place. I haven't got the jeep yet it is at a friends house and i can't get out to look at it til sunday. I was just trying to get some advice as to what to look for. Afriend had a similar thing happen to his XJ and it turned out to be a relay. Any other Ideas guys

Not much I can add, except that I think you're going to have to look carefully. If you can, bring a multimeter, or at the very least a test light. It will make the hunt a little easier.

Check the grounds first, and then see if you can figure out why there's no interior power. Do gauges register?

That year will have fuses and also fusible links, I think, somewhere around the relay center under the hood. If you suspect a relay, remember that you can swap them around.

Check if all the interior power is out, or only some, and check for spark. Remember it's possible two things are wrong but unrelated, so it could have a bad fuse and a bad crank position sensor, for example. It would be useful if you can find out a bit of history.

yeah i am guessing it is the same thing as they happened at the same time. It may be two different things. I have a multimeter in my jeep at all times so i got that covered. Also i have a friend who graduated from U of NW ohio so he has a lot of know how he will be with me

Back