• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory tow hook question

gijosiahh

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys theres a cherokee with the factory tow hooks/brackets on it at the junkyard that i want to pull. it uses torx bolts to mount along the frame rail though and i dont have a big enough torx bit. so would anyone know what size torx bit i would need. i dont know if it comes from the factory with the torx bolts like that, but hopefully someone can clarify.

thanks.

they used a lot of torx bolts at the factory. i heard this is because the robots can hold them easier and as the name implies, be torqued down more. you might be able to get by with a large flat head if its not too rusted in there. even then you could bring some PB blaster and get em soaked for next time you go the the JY.

It's a T55, from the factory. x2, buy a good quality set of TORX bits, you will find other Jeep projects that need them. Cheap tools break just when you need them most and usually F up whatever you are working on.

It does come from the factory with the Torx bolts, and if you can, try to save them. Ordinary bolt heads will stick out too far and hit the sway bar. Actually even the Torx bolts will sometimes hit the sway bar, but it will just ride over the heads. If you end up having to torch off the Torx bolts, you can use regular bolts if you grind the heads down to about half height.

Back