• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 parts interchangability

carluch

NAXJA Forum User
does anyone know if the internal parts, mainly the hi gear differential, from a pre '96 242 fit into a post '96 242?

need to repair or replace my '97 np 242 and was wondering if, rather than spend $500+ on a replacement unit of the same generation, i could just buy a $100 earlier model from the jyard and swap some internals... dont really want to swap to older style case driveshaft completely, would rather replace as little as possible to have my late model case work properly again.

carluch said:
does anyone know if the internal parts, mainly the hi gear differential, from a pre '96 242 fit into a post '96 242?

need to repair or replace my '97 np 242 and was wondering if, rather than spend $500+ on a replacement unit of the same generation, i could just buy a $100 earlier model from the jyard and swap some internals... dont really want to swap to older style case driveshaft completely, would rather replace as little as possible to have my late model case work properly again.

Why not just swap the case? It's less work.

Since they changed the cut of the input gear, it would be reasonable to assume that they would have changed the cut of all the gears at the same time - at least, that's my thinking (the new profile may have been more efficient to machine, or resulted in longer life for the gear cutter - which would explain the change. I say "may" because I don't really have any specifics on the change itself.)

5-90 said:
Why not just swap the case? It's less work.

Since they changed the cut of the input gear, it would be reasonable to assume that they would have changed the cut of all the gears at the same time - at least, that's my thinking (the new profile may have been more efficient to machine, or resulted in longer life for the gear cutter - which would explain the change. I say "may" because I don't really have any specifics on the change itself.)
yeah i hear you. i guess im reluctant to put an earlier case and driveshaft into the 97... just doesnt sit well with my "make it as good or better" mentality... ill probably just end up getting a used late model case for the $500...

the problem i have is so weird. ive lost all but 4lo (different gear in case). whenever its in 2wd, 4hi or N, it clanks and rattles and is completely dissconnected (gear wise) from the trans. leading up to this, i had a sporatic knock/instantaneous bind while at constant partial throttle around 40-70 mph... when that started happening, i changed the fluids in the trans, tcase f & r diff, greased the sy and put much needed new brake shoes on it in an attempt to narrow down the sound. i guess after 200,000 miles, and extreme towing for the last 50,000 i should be pleased its lasted this long...

carluch said:
yeah i hear you. i guess im reluctant to put an earlier case and driveshaft into the 97... just doesnt sit well with my "make it as good or better" mentality... ill probably just end up getting a used late model case for the $500...

the problem i have is so weird. ive lost all but 4lo (different gear in case). whenever its in 2wd, 4hi or N, it clanks and rattles and is completely dissconnected (gear wise) from the trans. leading up to this, i had a sporatic knock/instantaneous bind while at constant partial throttle around 40-70 mph... when that started happening, i changed the fluids in the trans, tcase f & r diff, greased the sy and put much needed new brake shoes on it in an attempt to narrow down the sound. i guess after 200,000 miles, and extreme towing for the last 50,000 i should be pleased its lasted this long...

As I understand it, the earlier cases used wrought stock for the shift fork, while the later cases were cast. Wrought being stronger... (you know the rest)

Back