• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

starts then dies

jayuu

NAXJA Forum User
1993 4.0

so i was driving home from class yesterday and my jeep just stopped running. i pulled it over and it will start, run for a few seconds and then die. if when i start it i mash on the gas and keep the needle bouncing above 3k it will stay running. any ideas? i checked the dist cap, wires, pinched off the fuel return line and all but still does the same thing.

alomost this same thing happened to my ex-girlfriends 01 xj and it was the battery in that case if i were u i'd give it shot batteries aren't super expensive and if won't hurt to have a new one

jayuu said:
you are my savior! jumped the ballast and that was it! thank you.

Cool!!!! Just send me 10% of your income for the rest of your life!!! :D

:cheers:

jayuu said:
haha right. do you know if i can run the jeep for two days with it just jumped? i had to get it from the dealer and it wont be here til thursday.

Should be. Heck, some folks just leave it that way.

:cheers:

Yep im running it that way right now, and everything is fine. The pump is just loud at times is all, and thats really all its there for.

I will replace the ballast resistor.. the only reason why i havent is because the damn parts stores carry one that is like 5.2 Ohms .. which makes the Jeep sputter and die. The stock one is 1.1 ohms, so make sure you get it from the dealer!

Back