• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help! Electrical disaster, turn signals/hazards/dash....

ResurreXJion

NAXJA Forum User
This problem occured in a blink of an eye, no forewarning. Walked outside, and it was a mess like this.

I've searched the entire internet, and found many similar problems as mine, but no solid answer. Apparently my year (96) is specific.

Here's the problem:

1) Driver's side turn signal lights all rear lights except reverse and brakes (both sides) but doesnt flash.
2) Passengers side will flash, but flash both turn signal and hazard lamps on that side.
3) When headlights are on, flashers wont work, and flasher lights are on regardless of hazard lamp position.
4) Headlights OFF, hazards work, but flash the DASHBOARD lights as well.

I haver replaced/inspected:

1) New (used) multi function switch
2) THREE new flasher/relays (OEM chrysler)
4) New headlight switch
4) Pulled and cleaned all bulbs and sockets
5) Inspected fuse blocks and fuses
6) Inspected and tightened grounds at the trailer hitch wiring.
7) Did a basic check for shorts. (pull neg batt terminal, test lamp from neg batt to body produced no light)

My jeep is torn apart, and I need toget to work. Two mechanics, as well as myself are at a total loss as to what is wrong. It is acting like a short, or backfeeding power somewhere. WTF?

Anyone else with this problem? How did you fix it?

Thanks,

Tom

I recently had problems. Signals worked only when headlights off, rear wiper would not work. Using headlights , hitting brakes or in rev would shut off eng and the seat belt light was always on. I installed pwr/tailgate release over the summer and used the ground that was behund the dr side cargo panel and must have left it to loose. Fixed that ground and that fix those and other problems. Now my ammeter gauage is reading 14 , secound batt gauge is at 14 and the oil pressure reads over the couple of lbs it's usually at. Everything started as a hard starting prob. Hope this is your prob too.

Forgot to mention that dash lights would glow even if they were off. I found out I could'nt drive w/headlights on while I was driving back from the DMV in the snow. Every cop from Yonkers to the Bronx passed me and never noticed, lucky it's a 5spd so I did'nt have to stand on the brakes while at a stop or slowing down. Kept it in full time the whole time.

Yeah it sounds like a ground issue. I would maybe find a ground wire in the system and splice a new ground in if you can't find anything.

There is a 20 pin connector on the drivers side in front of the airbox, This connector has all the wires for the front lighting of the vehicle. I have seen these corrode and cause a lot of wierd stuff to happen. Just a thought, if it looks OK don't forget to put some dielectric grease in it when it is apart.

Back