• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Daystar EVS foam bumpstops

XJ AV8R

NAXJA Forum User
http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/tech/0801_4wd_1997_jeep_cherokee/photo_02.html

Has anyone ever used these type of bumpstops? I have 3" of lift with 31's and only need to limit up travel by a few inches. I was going to use hockey pucks but figured that a stop on the shocks themselves would be just as good. I searched the forums but didn't find much info/usage. Any comments/experiences/unforeseen problems would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I've never used them but have always been curious about them. I search here awhile ago and didn't find anything. Anybody actually use them?

I use them in the rear and they work good. If you get the black ones make sure you get the instal tool, it will make life a lot easier.

I was wondering if that install tool was necessary. I ordered them so I will let you all know how it works out. Should be here in about a week and hopefully install will occur shortly thereafter. I think I will get the tool also...

The tools are 10 bucks each at quadratec...Forget it, I have more time than money...no tool.

sorry to bring back an old thread

but did u guys need mr than one per shock?

i was thinking about running a red one and a black one so that the red one would compress first?

what do u guys think

I've always thought that it was a bad idea to limit travel with shocks. The mounts usually aren't nearly strong enough for that, especially up travel that's taking the weight of the vehicle. Down travel is just the weight of the axle and tire. Unless I missed something.

jonnyghost said:
I've always thought that it was a bad idea to limit travel with shocks. The mounts usually aren't nearly strong enough for that, especially up travel that's taking the weight of the vehicle. Down travel is just the weight of the axle and tire. Unless I missed something.
You are right but these shock mounted bumpstops ar more foam than hard rubber. They compress easy. The red ones are not much firmer than seat foam.

I decided to return them and just do normal bumpstops. After looking at my setup I came to the conclusion that I didn't want to limit the total travel of the suspension, but rather bumpstop somewhere besides the shock so I could still realize full compression travel. Anyway, I am aborting...

If only your mom said the same thing.

:laugh3:

chirp chirp chirp...nothin' but crickets dude.:yelclap:

As long as I make myself laugh I'm happy :D

LOL:D

XJ AV8R said:
I decided to return them and just do normal bumpstops. After looking at my setup I came to the conclusion that I didn't want to limit the total travel of the suspension, but rather bumpstop somewhere besides the shock so I could still realize full compression travel. Anyway, I am aborting...

I'm sorry, but I don't get the logic. Bumpstopping the shock is exactly the way to assure you get the most travel. The issue with bumpstops is positioning them so the shock doesn't bottom on a hard hit, and understanding how far the bumpstop will compress. A properly setup rig will rarely if ever bottom the suspension when articulating, it will always bottom when traveling fast or on a big dip or rut on the access road. The easiest and safest way to get the bumpstop in exactly the best position is to put it on the shock shaft. Until I installed air bumps on the front of my buggy, all I used was shaft bumps on all four coilovers.

With any bumpstop, you have to figure that the bumpstop will compress nearly all the way on a hard hit, so no travel is ever lost through the bumpstop. If you regularly articulate enough to bottom the shock, then it's very likely that your spring rate is too soft which will mean that you are even more likely to bottom the suspension regularly on big bumps making proper bumpstop placement even more important.

As far as the mounts being able to handle the load, it would be better for the shock to bottom out with a shaft bump than without, since the shaft bump will absorb the energy and slow the impact, relative to a shock bottoming without a shaft bump. Throughout the wheeling life of a rig, there are going to be times that a shock bottoms out, and the mounts should be strong enough to handle it.

I think those Daystar shaft bumps that can be added to any shock are a great new product.

if your shock mounts are up to the challenge then why not right? Oh and Ramsey I feel the same way about humor. Unlike most people I think that shit is funny.

I just got back from a 3 day trip and read your comments. My thoughts on this may be incorrect based on what you guys are saying, but here they are anyway...pick apart as necessary! I only have 3" of lift on my XJ, so I want to use the small amount of upward articulation I have as much as possible. I also have open diffs so it is very important that I keep all tires in contact with the terrain as much as possible. I don't remember all of the measurements exactly, but the Daystar bumpstops were around 3 inches long. If I installed them I would be subtracting a portion (although smaller than the 3" due to compression) of my up travel. If I bumpstopped inside the coil then I wouldn't lose as much of my up travel if I measure correctly, allowing for compression of the bumpstop of course. This in turn would help the same side rear tire remain in contact with the terrain better, until the front is high enough to unload the rear suspension enough to allow rear wheel spin.

After reading Goatman's post I got to thinking that whenever I have stuffed a tire and looked at it, I'm not quite bottomed out on the shock. It seems the spring is stopping the compression rather than the shock (as you said).

Soooo, it seems that once again I haven't got it quite right...let's try this train of thought.

In a properly set up suspension the spring should "limit" travel, for the most part. The bump stop is designed to prevent transient movements from forcefully bottoming out the shock, but once the transient force has subsided, the spring will continue to "limit" the suspension movement. If the springs are too soft, you will be bouncing off of the bumpstops all of the time or even resting on them, when the vehicle isn't in motion, at full stuff. If they are too stiff then you won't be taking advantage of your suspension travel and will be lifting a tire on even small obstacles.

I don't punish my suspension at high speed, so this is all slow-speed crawling-over-terrain kind of stuff, by the way...

It's late and it's been a long day...am I on the right track now? Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
slcpunk74 said:
if your shock mounts are up to the challenge then why not right? Oh and Ramsey I feel the same way about humor. Unlike most people I think that shit is funny.
I read a poll once, and of 1000 people surveyed, 95% found humor to be funny as well.

Back