• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Straight 140w gear oil????

01sesedan

NAXJA Forum User
Just wanted to get some feedback.

I have a neighbor who is a crane operator and is able to get straight 140w gear oil. He uses it in his pickups without any problems and had offered me some. He gets it in 5 gallon containers but I'm not sure if it's the correct thing to use. I live in South Florida and the temp doesn't go below 60 that often and that's on the coldest day, not sure if this would make a difference.

Your thoughts......

Thanks.

I say grab it and run before he changes his mind.
Some may say to use somekind of syn oil. That you will get better MPG. But that have never been proven to my satisfacsion anyway.
If you don't want it I will take it :)

Down there you will be OK with straight 140w, as long as it's not too cold. That stuff gets pretty thick once you get into the 30's and colder.

Still thinking about it, I might be better off going with what's recommended.

Quick question, how much fuild do the diff's take? So far, I've seen them by the quart at the store.

01sesedan said:
Still thinking about it, I might be better off going with what's recommended.

Quick question, how much fuild do the diff's take? So far, I've seen them by the quart at the store.

There's a chart of fluid capacities and recommendations in the Tech section of my site - specs pulled from FSMs. I may not have your specific year (don't have that FSM yet...) but pick a year close to yours, and the specs should be right anyhow - they haven't changed much...

Back