• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Serpentine Belt Adjustment Woes

MJCfromCT

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a Goodyear Gatorback belt to replace the belt in my 93 XJ with the hopes of eliminating the noise I had here:

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=943151

The new belt is on but not without issues. One of the bolts on the power steering is frozen on, basically, and any attempt to tighten or loosen it makes it feel like it is about to snap off. Consequently, the belt isn't on there as tight as it needs to be, and was slipping whenever the A/C compressor kicked on, whenever I accelerate, whenever I turn the wheel, etc. Also, the battery voltage, which usually reads at ~14.5V on the gauge, is now reading ~14.0V. I need to tighten the belt, but I don't want to break this bolt. Any suggestions? My dad suggested using a block of wood to push the power steering and hold tension, but I'd really like to be able to remove this bolt and replace it with a new one, and hold the tension properly.

PB Blaster
More torque. Add a cheater if necessary. If it (the bolt) breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway...and on you go.

ParadiseXJ said:
PB Blaster
More torque. Add a cheater if necessary. If it (the bolt) breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway...and on you go.

X2 Pretty much it.

Thanks, I'll get that PB Blaster.

Since the new belt was slipping a decent amount over a ~2hr drive at 60mph, should I get another new belt, or should this one be OK?

Try it before buying a new belt (I'm a cheap bastard). My guess is that a 2hr drive squealing probably glazed the gator back belt. Some times (that's key, some times) driving on a glazed belt will only squeal when cold, after it heats a little the noise goes away. My tow vehicle belt is like this for about the 1st ten miles.

Well, I checked the belt today, and its even looser than it was when I checked it last night (I thought it'd get tighter because its colder today). I attempted to drive to autozone, but didn't even get out of the parking lot without noticing that steering was extremely difficult. I borrowed a ride and picked up some PB Blaster and sprayed it like mad to loosen this stubborn bolt, only to realize that my socket wrench physically won't even get to the bolts in the back.

Long story short, are there any of you kind gentlemen in the Worcester, MA area who could lend a hand? :)

Its very short notice, but I did have an important appointment tomorrow, so if anyone can lend a hand, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm just a college kid, but I can throw in 50 bucks for your trouble.

See: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=944021

If no one comes to help, to loosen that bolt go get a 1/2 inch open-end wrench that is about 8" long. If nothing else go to Walmart and get a set of Stanley SAE wrenches which is what I had to do the first time I did the adjustment thing. I had all sorts of i/2" and 13mm wrenches but none the ideal length.

With this wrench and your socket wrench you can easily get to all bolts from above, although some will suggest that it is easiest to go at it from below. I just don't like lying on the cold concrete if not absolutely necessary.

Removing the air box will make the job a lot easier if you haven't already done so.

Thanks for the reply. I will attempt to remove the air box to get some more elbow room.

Here is the problem I'm currently having (aside from not being able to reach those back bolts):

0900823d801544dclu6.jpg

The green bolt I was able to loosen just fine. It is the red one that is giving me problems. Looking down at this bolt, the head appears cockeyed. After spraying a ton of PB Blaster on it, it slightly moves, but with every budge it becomes more and more cockeyed. I'm worried it will snap.

That bolt isn't essential really. You can drive without it. I just locks the long adjustment bolt from turning. Not that it would by itself anyway.

You can usually get a socket on the bottom nut on the backside of the power steering pump. Although the one on the top back will require an open end wrench. Or a ratchet wrench would be juicy for it if you have one!

My guess is that you're twisting the stud for that lower nut, and it is going to snap. If you say it looks like it's odd and gets more odd every time you turn it.

5-90 was working on a solution to belt tension bolt before his move. IDK if it ever got out of prototype but would be worth a PM to him.

Not the same bolt in question though. The tension bolt is perpendicular to the stud/nut in question. If I am reading his posts correct, that is.

it's the one that locks/clamps the adjustment bolt in place.

Here's something else:

0900823d801544dcvp4.jpg

The bolt I highlighted there is the one that supposedly you turn to increase/descrease tension once you loosen the two bolts in front and the two bolts in the back, correct?

Well, on my Jeep, when I peered down there (and I don't have a good angle as I haven't taken the air box or electric fan off yet), I don't see a bolt there. I see an empty hole, basically.

If it was just missing, that'd be really nice. Then you could go to the junkyard and get another.

Maybe the locking nut is just spinning because there's no bolt (the tensioner bolt) running through the "collar" that the locking nut holds?

That'd be a great situation if it turned out that way!

Alright, I took some pics this morning:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mjcfromct/SerpentineBeltAdjustment

http://picasaweb.google.com/mjcfromct/SerpentineBeltAdjustment/photo#5169069882429195666 <-- here you can see an overview, with that top bolt that I've been able to loosen

http://picasaweb.google.com/mjcfromct/SerpentineBeltAdjustment/photo#5169069891019130290 <--- here i'm focusing on that frozen bolt, you can see how its a bit cockeyed.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mjcfromct/SerpentineBeltAdjustment/photo#5169070015573181922 <--- here is where that adjustment bolt *should* be (at least where I think it should be

In the original album link, there are some more zoomed-in pictures you can take a look at too.

Ok, if I am missing this bolt, it brings up some important questions.

Is the car driveable without the bolt? I'm assuming it is, because previous to this belt change, I never had an issue with the belt slipping, and according to my Dad who changed the belt a few days ago, there wasn't a bolt there. Now, he is not highly experienced in Jeep work, but he certainly knows his way around an engine, and if a giant bolt fell out of there, he would have noticed it.

If it isn't driveable without the bolt, what are my options in terms of getting a new/replacement one? I have no idea where a local jeep pick-and-pull would be, but there's a Home Depot and a Lowes nearby. Is this bolt something that you can pick up at a store like them?

Also, what is the procedure for installing this bolt?

Back