• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4x4

78/xj88

NAXJA Forum User
i have an 88xj i dont no what i need to look at before i put in four wheel drive to make sure i dont mess anything up. This puppy is stock and in great shape my 10 year old son asked me if it was NEW!!!! I fixed the stall it had thanx to all on this site just TODAY!!! FUEL FILTER..duh anyway now that thats fixed all that is left is to look at 4x4 to see what needs done there.... thats were i need help once agian. Hasta

Find a gravel road, put it in four wheel drive and give it some gas, if all four spin, it works. Do the same in four low, just don't go over 15-20 mph in low range. Also don't use four wheel drive on dry pavement or anything that has a lot of traction, it will bind up and you will start breaking things.

On an 88, assuming you have the part time 4WD setup, there's a vacuum operated front axle disconnect. If that does not operate, you'll get no 4WD even if the transfer case shifts in properly, and if vacuum problems arise, it might disconnect intermittently, especially when vacuum is low, such as on long hills. The 4WD indicator light is operated by the vacuum when the vacuum motor on the axle connects, and off when it disconnects, so it has a diagnostic function. Watch that light. If it goes on and stays on steadily you're probably in luck. If it flickers or blinks off periodically, check for vacuum leaks or bad components.

if you are having problems with the vacuum disconnect then they have whats called a 4x4 posilock which switches it to cable operated. i have no experience with them so i cant testify to how well it works. i think it is only about $200.

Back