• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TPS adjusting

Chad29860

NAXJA Forum User
I just replaced the TPS on my 89 cherokee. I have an automatic so the TPS has two plugs. Can anyone tell me which plug and what wires to back probe to adjust it. I marked the old one and throttle body when I pulled it off but I think I have the new one off just alittle because my tranny is shifting alittle funny. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Turn the key on (engine not running) with all accessories off, backprobe the square harness. First check the input voltage: negative voltmeter lead to terminal D and the positive to terminal A. Record the voltage. multiply the input voltage by .83 or 83%. This will be your output voltage, for example: 5 volts x .83 = 4.15 volts. This is what your output voltage should be. The output voltage is measured by backprobing negative test lead to terminal D and positive to terminal B. If it is not a difference of 83%, loosen the two torx screws attaching the sensor and move it until it is within specs.

Sorry to Hijack your thread Chad, but if the TPS is not adjusted correctly could it cause the engine to backfire (into the intake manifold, not the exhaust) at part throttle (about 1/3 or so)?

I assumed that my TPS was bad, I grabbed one from a junk yard and it’s much much better than the one I had, but still not right. I will fuss with it this afternoon and see if I can make it worse or better... I'm trying to avoid dropping $60 on a part I may not need.

Thanks and sorry again for the Hijack...

---
xjcruiser90
http://xjcruiser.com

I believe the adjustment on yours is off and could very well be the cause of the backfire. Try adjusting it and see what it does then.

Well messed around with the volt meter and couldnt get it right. I took it to my tranny shop and he adjusted it for $25 dollars using the scope. Starts better and shifts alot better too. Thanks for all the help!!

Back