• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1999 Sport options

Maz

NAXJA Forum User
I am thinking about getting a newer XJ. From all the readings I have done, the 99 Sport trim is the one to get because:

Last year for HP Dana 30 front axle
29 spline 8.25 rear (was this the only rear axle option?)
Last year for 0630 head
Last year for regular distributor ignition
First year for new style intake manifold
No ABS with the Sport model trim

Two questions
1) Did I get it right?
2) What other options were available for the '99 Sport that I should look for? Towing package? Heavy duty cooling, etc?

Thanks ...... Maz

yeah, except for the distributor ignition part...

yes, it was the last year for that...

but having a distributorless ignition setup is a beautiful thing....

its too bad Jeep never made a model with the HP D30, 0630 head, 99+ intake manifold AND distributorless ignition.

make sure you get the C8.25 rear axle and not the D35 (so stay away from ABS - all ABS equipped models have D35). Tow package would be nice, because it will give you a better gear ratio (3.73 i believe) and I think it also has the auxillary tranny cooler.

Unless you've decided on a sport model for money reasons, any trim of a 99 (Sport, Classic, or Limited) will be set up the same as far as HP30, 0630 head, bigger intake, distributor ignition...etc etc.

Not sure on the ABS being not an option on Sports......I could have sworn i've seen some 97-99 sport's running around with ABS and the turdy five, but again i'm not 100% sure on that one.

Oh, and if you can, grab one with the NP242 Selec-Trac transfercase...you won't regret it!

99XJSPORT06 said:
Not sure on the ABS being not an option on Sports......I could have sworn i've seen some 97-99 sport's running around with ABS and the turdy five, but again i'm not 100% sure on that one.
quote]

i've got a 97 sport with abs and the d35
not fond of either...

When calling on a '99 that's for sale and the owner doesn't know whether or not it has ABS or not, what's the best way to explain to him how to check? Can I have him pop the cover off the PDB and see if the relay is there?

Or if you can get them to look at the rear axle, the differential housing will have a flat bottom on the Chrysler 8.25 (non ABS) rear, and more of a round shape all the way around on the D35 (with ABS)

99XJSPORT06 said:
Unless you've decided on a sport model for money reasons…..

I’ve decided on the Sport model because I’ve read that they don’t come with ABS, so I assume by default they should have the C8.25. Could be wrong assumption on my part.

99XJSPORT06 said:
Oh, and if you can, grab one with the NP242 Selec-Trac transfercase...you won't regret it!

Why? I thought 231 is preferable if one does not live in the snow country. Do you mind elaborating?

JNickel101 said:
make sure you get the C8.25 rear axle and not the D35 (so stay away from ABS - all ABS equipped models have D35)

So does this mean none of the C8.25s come with ABS? I can spot the C8.25 by the flat part on the bottom of the pumpkin, right?

Thanks for all the replies .. Maz

I have a 99 and its the way to go. The better intake isnt that great, its there to help make up for emissions losses. So your not getting anything better with that intake.

Why are people shying away from ABS? Is it just a wheeling thing or is it inherently problematic?

I have a 00 without abs and almost didn't buy it because it didnt have ABS. Just wondering, as I assume that it could only be beneficial (to the daily driver), unless it was a POS.

Because XJs with ABS have the weak (pos) Dana 35 rear axle. The 35 is fine if you are stock, but if you plan on lifting it and wheeling it hard the will break more easily.

Maz said:
I’ve decided on the Sport model because I’ve read that they don’t come with ABS, so I assume by default they should have the C8.25. Could be wrong assumption on my part.
Correct. ABS can be found on any trim level XJ. Just depends on who orig. bought it/ordered it I guess.

Maz said:
Why? I thought 231 is preferable if one does not live in the snow country. Do you mind elaborating?
Don't get me wrong, the 231 is a great case as well, but the 242 has the Full Time option which is great for heavy rain storms or any other situation where traction is limited, and just that little bit of extra help from the full time option is enough to get you through. I don't live in snow country either, but I have used my 242 many times in the past when I had my old tires on and we got a heavy summer thunderstorm, and it really does help.

Are you planning on lifting this Jeep?

JNickel101 said:
Tow package would be nice, because it will give you a better gear ratio (3.73 i believe) and I think it also has the auxillary tranny cooler.

How ya holdin out in the the sand box?

-Just for info, the 1999 that I ordered (with the tow package) came with the Chry. 8.25, 29 spline axles, 3.55 gears, and an auxiliary transmission cooler. :)

Back