• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

crazy coolant leak

ttrider

NAXJA Forum User
i've got a 97' with the 4.0 and ax-15
all engine parts are stock including the radiator
a few days ago, i was driving down the road and smelled anitfreeze, so i pulled over and yeah..had a leak. problem is....i CAN'T find it anywhere. the hoses are all dry, the entire radiator is dry, i'm positive its anitfreeze

i heard something about a poss. heater core and the way the drain hose was routed? it almost looks like my a/c condenser is what's leaking...but its DEF antifreeze

thanks

oops...sorry forgot the most confusing part!
it only leaks sometimes...haha
like its done it four times since then, but usually just spits out some anitfreeze and goes back to normal

I know you say your radiator is dry, but I almost guarantee that's what your problem is...especially if it's intermittent. They can look dry and still be leaking from sneaky places. Where is the leak (ie:front, middle, back of the engine bay)?

already checked the oil..went ahead and did a full fluid check...all good
i dont think its the cap..the first time it happened was the only time it leaked while running..the other times i would park it, leave it, come back and have a suprise

the only place i can see any form of moisture at is on the condenser at the bottom left hand corner if looking from the front

Are you noticing the driver side floorboard become soaked at all? Mine went through this little spell where it would randomly flood the driver side floor...usually only did it after sitting for a week while I was at school. I'd get in to go off for the weekend and be greated with a nice puddle and the smell of moldy carpet (and this was even when we had no rain during that week). Never noticed the coolant level go down, nor could I smell coolant, but for the life of me I never could find what it was. Everybody I talked to suggested heater core, but it hasn't done it since about this time last year.

Back