• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gauge cluster swap & odometer q

pro-rallye

NAXJA Forum User
so i searched and searched and gave up. where is the write up on how to change the odometer of your "new" gauge cluster to that of what you originally had? thanks

Generally, you must take it to a shop and have them fix and "certify" the change. Altering the odo is a federal offense.

Yeah, What he said! If you want to do it by yourself though, pick up a repair manual from an auto parts store and read up. They have lots of pictures and instructions.

xjcruiser90 said:
This doesn't answer your question (sorry) but the title on my Jeep says that the odometer isn't accurate, I would assume in that case you don't need to have it certified.

Well (IANAL), but as I understand it, as long as the difference is documented and the change is disclosed to a new buyer, you're OK. So you don't need to actually change the Odo reading..

I just swapped the 125mph speedo in my 96 last week. It has 22k miles more than the original. I just wrote down the orig miles of old speedo and starting miles on new cluster so that it was documented. I would've attempted to roll back the miles had I cared/knew ahead of time how to do it.

thats the link i was lookin for. thanks, and yes i will disclose that i changed my odometer 19000 miles backwards to meet the actual mileage if, if i ever sell my jeep

gradon said:
I just swapped the 125mph speedo in my 96 last week. It has 22k miles more than the original. I just wrote down the orig miles of old speedo and starting miles on new cluster so that it was documented. I would've attempted to roll back the miles had I cared/knew ahead of time how to do it.

what is the 125 speedo out of?

Back