• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

loping idle problem????

mitsumotors

NAXJA Forum User
has anyone experienced their engine loping at idle. mine has done it as long as i have owned it. when it's idling it will move back and forth in a loping pattern between 1000rpm and 1100rpm. it doesn't seem like a big deal but it sounds annoying. i always thought it was a vacuum leak but i replaced the vacuum harness's for all the emissions stuff and it still does it. any ideas?

the guy i bought it from said he took it to the dealer and they seemed to think that it was normal, and nothing was wrong. but it doesn't seem normal to me???

I would start with the IAC (idle air control). Not sure how much they are but worth a shot. Also when you have a question add info about your XJ, like year, motor, tranny, and so on.

It is on the throttle body

IAC can get carboned up. Try cleaning with sensor safe solvent. Also clean out where the sensor seats. Sometimes that work but sometimes they need replacing. Could be other things too but my first thought is the IAC as 97XJ mentions.

Back