• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough Country Adjustable Track Bar

jlmxj49

NAXJA Forum User
Has anybody here had a problem with the tie rod end on a Rough Country adjustable track bar? I just put a new one one my 01 with 2" of lift. I have tightened the nut as much as it will go but I'm getting some side to side movement at the tie rod end when someone is sawing the steering wheel back and forth. I thought I had it tight but I started hearing a pop coming from that area sometimes when I make a hard right turn. I didn't have that problem with the stock bar. It was in there tight because I like to have never got it out of the bracket so I don't think it's in the bracket. It's in that tie rod end. Is this normal? I don't think so. Maybe the stud isn't the right taper and won't let it pull up far enough although I did get the kotter pin in it. Any thoughts?

you don't need a new trackbar with only 2" of lift. you're not tracking right anymore first off

second off, it can go tighter, or the joint was bad already...pull it off and check it out.

I guess there is a difference of opinion. Some people say that it's good to use one. I've already had the front end aligned. I believe it is tracking right because the axle is centered. Had I not put the adjustable one on it wouldn't have been. I know this because I took measurements before I started. The reason I put one on in the first place is because I have read other posts where someone lifted 2" and had the front axle shifted 1/2" to 3/4" and I didn't want mine out of center. I also didn't want to drill another hole like some do. I have no problem with the bar itself although I do know Rough Country gets trashed on here all the time.

Rough countrys trackbar is horrible, mine did the same thing. Swaped it out with a BDS bar with the johnny joint, works great. Pitch it...

RC is crap! Yet I still buy it because It's seems cheap but then you have to go to NAPA and spend enough to make the differnce up.

I stripped there POS tierod end trying to seat it in my bracket and then spent $40 at NAPA to get a another better one. I still made RC send me one for free which was great of them, from customer service standpoint. I've got it floating around somewhere...

Although it sucks that it broke it's better than alloy rim shattering death wobble!

my 2 cents.

Last edited:
rockclimber24315 said:
RC is crap! Yet I still buy it because It's seems cheap but then you have to go to NAPA and spend enough to make the differnce up.

I stripped there POS tierod end trying to seat it in my bracket and then spent $40 at NAPA to get a another better one. I still made RC send my one for free which was great of them which I've got floating around somewhere.

Although it sucks that it broke it's better than death wobble.

my 2 cents.

Which one from NAPA did you get?

I buy RC and am more than happy with it.

but...my RC trackbars, the TRE's get replaced with heim joints anyways.

I have the RC track bar and have not had any problems with it. Have them replace it for you. RC has really good customer service.

-Randy

I wouldnt get any TB with a TRE/single shear mount on the frame side.

Kevins, TNT, RE, etc are the ones I'd go with.

JNickel101 said:

X2!

I made the mistake of geting the RC TB once, and had the exact same problems you are. It wasn't a month until I took it off and junked it... and that was after 3-4 TREs.

If you really feel that your axle is that far off center and you want to correct it then go with the cheaper option of a trac bar relocation bracket. It allows you to keep your factory trac bar by mounting a bracket in the factory axle end trac bar bracket. Skyjacker, BDS, and Pro-Comp I know all offer one of almost identical design. Very simple install and works great. I personally have had the BDS one on my 97 for almost 3 1/2 years before I took it off to put on the JKS trac bar and it withstood the abuse of teenage drving and mild off-roading. My best friend put my old BDS one on his Jeep and it finally after almost 2 years on his jeep the metal just gave and the bracket broke. He replaced it with the skyjacker unit and man was that one beefy and very well constructed. I have installed the Pro-Comp unit on a TJ and a ZJ which as most everyone knows have identical front ends to the XJ and that unit well even though it looks just like the BDS and Skyjacker brackets, it is a little different and the install is much more difficult than it needed to be so yet again Pro-Comp managed to screw up yet another simple product so I would stay away from that one and spare yourself the headache. All these brackets are available between $30-$60 bucks I believe. This is a great option for you to save money and would work great with your lift height.

JNickel101 said:

X3,and add that RE has the optional brace!

TRAILREADYXJ said:
X2!

I made the mistake of geting the RC TB once, and had the exact same problems you are. It wasn't a month until I took it off and junked it... and that was after 3-4 TREs.

Was it the same tre's from Rough Country or another brand that you got else where?

Ben824 said:
If you really feel that your axle is that far off center and you want to correct it then go with the cheaper option of a trac bar relocation bracket. It allows you to keep your factory trac bar by mounting a bracket in the factory axle end trac bar bracket. Skyjacker, BDS, and Pro-Comp I know all offer one of almost identical design. Very simple install and works great. I personally have had the BDS one on my 97 for almost 3 1/2 years before I took it off to put on the JKS trac bar and it withstood the abuse of teenage drving and mild off-roading. My best friend put my old BDS one on his Jeep and it finally after almost 2 years on his jeep the metal just gave and the bracket broke. He replaced it with the skyjacker unit and man was that one beefy and very well constructed. I have installed the Pro-Comp unit on a TJ and a ZJ which as most everyone knows have identical front ends to the XJ and that unit well even though it looks just like the BDS and Skyjacker brackets, it is a little different and the install is much more difficult than it needed to be so yet again Pro-Comp managed to screw up yet another simple product so I would stay away from that one and spare yourself the headache. All these brackets are available between $30-$60 bucks I believe. This is a great option for you to save money and would work great with your lift height.

Well this is the route I was going to go in the first place but everybody was telling me to stay away from the bracket and get an adjustable bar. People kept saying the brackets were junk and that you couldn't get the bolts to stay tight. Skyjacker was the one that was said about. So I didn't go that way.

You are correct, stay the hell away from those Trackbar relocation brackets!!!!

It will throw off your angles, in addition, and you'll end up with bumpsteer...

And they were correct,Ive got a relocation bracket I lend out to newbies,but I always get it back after they figure out the right way to do things!

LOL...thats borderline evil :) but I guess its one way to teach someone :)

JNickel101 said:
LOL...thats borderline evil :) but I guess its one way to teach someone :)
Yeah,it is!But how many 1000's of threads are on NAXJA with people who wont step up to the proper trackbar to begin with.Then they post about all their problems!!!

Yep, great point!

Back