• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another "analyze my steering" thread...

ert01

NAXJA Forum User
So I need some opinions here... I'll try to post up pics of my current steering in a bit but for now I'll just give you the description and my gameplan and if you could give me feedback on how to do it right, that'd be appreciated :)

Currently I'm running 4.5" of lift in my 93 XJ. It has the stock HP D30 up front and I'm running stock steering with a redrilled and plated trackbar mount. I know it's not good to run that much lift and the stock steering which is why I'm gonna fix it. I get some half bad bumpsteer right now (not horrible, but definately noticeable) and my steering has quite a large dead zone in it... makes highway driving not too fun since it tends to wander a bit. I think that's a combinations of the old TRE's being shot and the angles of the stock steering and a tired steering box.

Now I have another HP D30 I plan to put in my Jeep and I want to do what I can to fix my steering when I do my axle swap. I have a new steeringbox, a V8 ZJ tierod and draglink complete with new TRE's all around, a BDS adjustable trackbar and some of the goferit OTK flipserts.

Now I could put the new D30 in with the adj. trackbar and the V8 tierod and do the drivers side OTK flip, or I could do the full OTK flip but I'd need to buy the RHD draglink for that. (I'm running 15x8 steelies with 3.25" BS so I don't think I'll have any issues there... but I will need to make some new swaybar brackets so the tierod clears them).

Would doing the full OTK flip help my steering any more then the half OTK flip or is it simply for extra clearance that people do the full OTK flip? Would there be a lot of benefit to cutting off the old trackbar mount on the axle end and welding my own raised bracket on there?

Does my current gameplan of doing the 1/2 OTK flip with the above mentioned parts seem like it'll solve my problems or is there something I'm overlooking still?

Thanks! :)

Mark

I think running a regular v8 draglink and just OTK on the other side will work. Look for the tread of the the guy using the Dodge tierod end's with same taper.

Honestly, your stock CA angles are killing you more than you floppy tie rod and draglink. Going off how this sounds like a low budget, I'm assuming stock CA's. :scared:

RyanM said:
Honestly, your stock CA angles are killing you more than you floppy tie rod and draglink. Going off how this sounds like a low budget, I'm assuming stock CA's. :scared:
X2,Ive been running stock steering at 6" for several years with no problems!

Actually I have adjustable longarms... (I started building it budget wise, and then upgrade other parts as I have time/money... longarms came first, now a new set of axles and gears and lockers)

garage.php

So you think then that the majority of my problem is my caster being set wrong?

Get an angle finder. Report back and we can tell you about caster. Sounds like your Stock tie rod ends, including the one on the track bar, are shot.

Wow, it's been a while since I've been able to work on my Jeep and now I'm back at it I guess... anyways I went out and checked my caster angle today.

The pinion is pointing up by 5* right now... is that acceptable or no?

ert01 said:
Wow, it's been a while since I've been able to work on my Jeep and now I'm back at it I guess... anyways I went out and checked my caster angle today.

The pinion is pointing up by 5* right now... is that acceptable or no?

OTK flip: http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoOTKSteeringLinks.htm

Try here for do it yourself alignment including setting caster:http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm

"Check caster by using a bevel square ( adjustable square ) with a level on it against the diff cover bolt heads that are above and below the axle or use the flat round area next to this. Then use a protractor the read the degrees. I have checked many XJ's including one that was still on the showroom floor and providing you are on level ground then it should read 87.5 degrees if done as shown. This is not the true caster angle as the steering knuckles are at a different angle but they will always be relative to this angle so it is used as a reference point. But with these Dana 30 hi pinion's, you can work out the caster by the formula; 9 - diff angle = caster."

Last edited:
Back