• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about paint chips/prevention/armor for rockers/doors

Skylar

NAXJA Forum User
Hey folks. My 31's are throwing rocks onto my XJ's rockers/bottom of the doors (2-door model) and chipping the maaco paint off of it, leading to new rust. Being in Michigan, they are salting the hell outta these roads, advancing the rust too quickly for my taste. I plan to POR-15 it I guess when the weather clears in a month or two. This is a year round daily-driver and clean. I wanna keep it that way. Is there a trick to shielding this area of the vehicle that you guys know of? I guess I could put slider-style armor on the lower part, but that doesn't really help the bottom edge of the doors, does it?

I appreciate any input. I haven't owned the XJ for more than a couple months but it was truly love at first sight and you don't see many clean '90 XJs around here.

(Mods, my apologies if this post belongs elsewhere)

Thanks.

I've heard of dudes using Herculiner on the lower part of the doors/rockers. I think it looks cool too and plan on doing it to my white XJ as soon as i get back...

Yea I live in RI and they salt the hell out of the roads here too. I also have a 2door jeep, i went the same rout and took the plastic off the door and put herculiner from under the rocker pannels all the way up to the lower pannel bend(the bump out that goes 1/4 way up the door.) The hurculiner seems to be doing a good job holding everything together and keeping the rust out.
Mr.X:peace:

DSC_0937.jpg

Used Duplicolor's product...like 4 bucks a can

I did my rockers and flares with wurth gravelguard, the stuff is tough!
5.jpg

Excellent info gentlemen. I'd have to touch up the paint anyways, so I think some real rough stuff like what you've been using is the best idea. Even if I got the paint perfectly matched, in a year the same thing would happen. Might do the back of the jeep as well right after the bottom of the rear wheelarch, I expect rust there eventually although it's clean right now. The salt ate right through the flat black on my taillight guards as well.

yes i did mask everything u dont want painted atleast two to three times it will go threw the tape if u are not carefull i used the green 3m tape on the sides u can spray it if u want some parts store carry an entire kit with a texture gun for like 200 or u can roll it on it works good. inside the floors i rolled it on make sure is clean and no loose paint and use a scotch brite pads to rough it up. wear a mask and gloves too

I have some friends that have the Duplicor stuff on the rockers of there XJs. Its been quite awhile now and its holding up great for them. I did the inner fenders of my Barracuda with the DC stuff and it looks awsome but its not been on the road yet.

I wanted to do my rockers and above in Duplicolor but my jeep is white. Even though I haven't followed the masses with the black wheels my black bumpers, sliders, and windows make for a little much black and white. Poor jeep would look like Shamu if I bedlinered the botoms of the doors lol.

I herculined mine, it was too thin I should have done two coats but you can kind of see where I did mine. I stopped it right above the trim on the doors and brought it up to the bodyline even with the flares in the rear...it works well to keep rock chips off but it soaks up dirt and mud like crazy. So if you care about the looks you might want to find something that seals better.
P1010177.JPG

Back