• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Selec trac vs Command trac

subliminal

NAXJA Forum User
Just got my first XJ didnt know about the 2 different systems until I started reading up on here. Anyways, I would like to know what the pros and cons are of both the Selectrac and the Command trac so I can decide for myself whether I should keep my new XJ with command trac or get rid of it and look for one with Selec trac. Thanks for your input.

They are both perfectly good transfer cases and will have a long and healthy life if your drive and trail ride in a responsible manner and perform your routine maintenance. If you are 17 years old, or drive like you are, it is certainly possible to break nearly anything, including either transfer case.

The Full Time 4x4 position on the Selec-Trac is great for snowy and icy paved road driving. The Select-Trac doesn't have any aftermarket support for a HD SYE but you can use a Hack and Tap SYE and get the same results. Read your owners manual for more information on both types of transfer case.

If you don't like the transfer case you have you can swap it for the NP231 Command-Trac.

I've had XJ's with both types of transfer cases, and I definitely prefer the selec trac for driving on snowy and icy roads. It's nice leaving it in 4WD full time on roads that have patchy snow instead of shifting it all the time. I never noticed a difference between the two going off roading. The 231 is supposed to be a better option if you plan on lifting the XJ though.

Back