• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny linkage

HotwiredXJ

NAXJA Forum User
[FONT=&quot]Ok, I just noticed this on my XJ. When I bought it, I put it in Drive, Reverse, Neutral, and park. I just tried to drop it in 1st to show off my Flowmaster, and it changed gears. So after investigation, it is only going into 2/3. The shifter is acting like that is the lowest position. There looks like there is enough room for it to drop into 1st, but it isn't going, even with force. Is there an idiot's guide to linkage adjustments, or is this something more serious?

[/FONT]

Pull up the trim around the base of the shifter. That'll let you see if something has gotten caught in there. I believe there is an adjustment for the shifter cable there as well. I don't recall if there is one on the tranny end, but as I recall there is a small bracket that may have gotten bent.

I wanted to be sure, and well, you posted what I checked...If I slam the shifter all the way to where 1,2 should be, notch wise. It is in 3rd. The only space on the guide frame for it to be missing any gear is between park and reverse. it almost skips a notch. I guess my cable may just be streched out. I also noticed that when in neutral, i can slap the shifter into reverse, easly!

Back