• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

513 gears

NighthawkXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ive been doing some searching for a friends project, and cant find any outlet for 5.13 gears for the dana 30 except the 2007 jks. What is so different about the dana 30 in 2007? does anyone know where we could get some deep gears for 93 xj dana 30 or just how low you can go? We are pairing it with a soon to be trused and spooled 8.8 and wanting to go 5.13 or deeper and chromollying the works.

You have a HP 30 and can only go 4.88.

8.8 can't go deeper than 5.13

You are going 4.88 unless you ditch the 30. The new 30's are a tad bigger in a few dimensions IIRC

Ok, so i just looked through the faq section, and found this answer to my part of my question.

Non-Disconnect, RS:

This axle first made it’s appearance in early XJs with the advent of the Select-Trac t-case. It does not use a disconnect, so the front driveshaft spins even in 2wd. The early axles came with 260 u-joints or an interesting CV design that tends to be somehwhat fragile. Sometime in the mid-90’s, the switch was made to 297/760 joints. Identical to the disconnect 30, it uses a 7.5” ring gear and 27 spline axles, and is a reverse spiral unit. Max gearing available is 4.88. Differentials and axle shafts are available to upgrade any Dana 30 to 30 spline, but a word of caution, when used in the rocks with aftermarket U-joints (more on this later), the weak link with this setup becomes the ring and pinion. This has to do with the inherent problem with the Dana 30 when used with big tires and low gearing, housing flex. When you apply torque to a pinion shaft, it tries to force the ring gear away from itself, and causing the pinion to ride up the gear teeth of the ring gear. This torque loading flexes the carrier and the housing unless both are stiff enough to resist it. With the Dana 30, the carrier takes a lot of abuse, which is why we see a lot of the 3 piece ARB carriers with broken and backed-out bolts. Eventually all this torque will weaken the ring gear and break teeth off of it or the pinion. Another weak link of this and later axles is the passenger side UCA mount. They fold like a cheap suit when abused. Do yourself a favor and weld a reinforcement plate to the front.

My question now is what makes the 2007 jk dana 30 different where it will take the 5.13s?

RyanM said:
You are going 4.88 unless you ditch the 30. The new 30's are a tad bigger in a few dimensions IIRC

I have read that to install the electric lockers you have to grind down some of the inside of the casing, is this a posible idea for fitting 5.13s, or are we just stuck on 4.88s.

jeepnuts311 said:
the JK dana 30s are low pinion

-Tim
know your facts before you post

Adam at Clayton Offroad said:
X and Sahara JK's have High pinion D30 fronts. Much different then XJ HP D30. Ring gear and internals are a good size bigger. That is why they are offering a 4.88 and a 5.13 gear ratio.

i also find it a little curious that they don't make numerically higher gears for the D30's. the old D27 (almost identical to the D30) went up to 5.38.

i have noticed that 4wheelerssupply lists a 5.38 for the D30. it's a little vague as to which D30 it's for, but the park numbers don't have the "JK" letter designation like the other part numbers for the JK axles. i'll have to try and remember to call them and see what the deal is.

http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/71506

well, that just sucks. Im pretty sure josh was wanting to go deeper than 4.88s, oh well, i guess time to tell him to keep saving his $$$ and go with 4.88s and a 4to1 transfercase since he does not want to go with a d44 right now.

Back