• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans mount problems

Stroketech

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys here is the deal. I have a '88 4x4 5 speed xj. Seems to be impossible to find a new trans mount for this thing. Mine is eaten up from oil leaking on it. Next stop is the Jeep dealer I guess. I have had one sent from Napa, Oreillys, Carquest, Auto Zone, Advanced and Bumper to Bumper. They all send the same one and it is the wrong one. The one I have has a bracket coming off the side to hold the front of the cat. It is the only exhaust support in the area so I know I need it. Also the studs for the cross member dont line up. What gives? Is it a dealer only item?

If it's like the later models, that bracket is not part of the tranny mount. It may LOOK like it's one piece, but it comes apart.

I could be wrong though. ;)

-edit- And I guess I AM wrong.

88 five speed is going to be a puegot. As far as I know the only place to find one is online or at the dealer. Try teamcherokee for a "cheap" one as the dealer usualy wants a buck something for it. The lowest I have found was about 80 bucks.
as for the crossmember, could be on backwards? not sure if that is possible but I know that the mounts for my tranny skid only fit one way, thats how I remember it.

Edit: for the rest wondering, Napa, carquest ect. will tell you that they have it but if you look at the picture, it is acualy for an AX, not the puegot, I believe that is where the confusion comes in

Back