• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

VIN number questions 88 XJ

Jim 88 XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I recently bought an XJ, needed to get a Jeep back in the family. I have had two CJs and 92 XJ. I came to this site and did a lot of reading to come up to speed on this Renix animal. I did some research on the VIN for my 1988 2 door Sport Cherokee and came up with a few questions:

The 5th digit is the letter R and I have not been able to determine what it means.

The 8th digit is 1 which means "custom" on one web site, on another web site it says a GVW of 4000 to 5000 lbs. It does have a hitch added from U-Haul so I do not think it is OEM.

Digits 6 and 7 are 77, I believe this means Limited/Country, 4wd, Cherokee 2 door. But mine is a Sport.

Maybe my VIN links are inaccurate, let me know what you think, please.

One other interesting thing, this 4.0 motor with 161k runs like a sewing machine, I had it up to 90+ mph this morning. Is that possible ? Or is the speedo acting up? Previous owner used synthetic oil for the last 60k. Nice to have torque again.

Cool the R makes sense with the auto, floor shifter. I was not aware the GVW would be over 4000 lbs.

Thanks for the info.

I'm still wondering about the Sport versus the Limited clasification.

I also have an 88 Sport. My vin goes like this....

1JCMR7716JTXXXXXX

The "77" means 2 door Cherokee

The next number "1" means custom....This is because 88 was the first year for the sport, essentially they just took a 2 door base model, added cursive sport emblems to the side, and threw in a 4.0 and 4wd. Hence "custom", since it didnt fit any other trim model.

The next number "6" is the check digit. Not to be confused with #6 trim model "Limited"

Any pics of yours???? Heres a few of mine taken in december. Its all original, 179k.

DSC00738.jpg

DSC00699-1.jpg

DSC00694.jpg

Hope the explination helped!

It is an 88, but the VIN indicates a Limited, so I assume someone fixed it up with the Sport decals and pin stripes. The only option my truck has is the A/C, other than that it is bare bones.

I just noticed in the pictures from 88XJSport that he has a roof rack and 2 piece rear side windows. I do not have a roof rack or fancy windows. I intend to add a roof rack but I need one that mounts to the drip rails.

Jim 88 XJ. What is your vin number without the last 6 digits?? A limited had every option possible, and i dont think anyone would remove all the options AND paint and add stripes to look like a sport. That would be too much work and stupid! The roof rack and the rear windows were optional, this is why you dont have them.

Yes, spring of 88 was the first year for the sport package. I read in a jeep book somewhere it was aimed at the younger crowd who wanted a stylish truck at a low cost. I believe my sticker says 14,100 dollars, and included a 4.0, 231, and a auto trans, 225 tires, ugly ass sewer cap rims, and nothing else. It was quite rare, and i have never seen another renix sport in person and have only seen a few online. It was only available in 2 door until 91.

The VIN is 1JCMR7717JT and it has the same rims as 88XJSport's images. It is the same as XJSport's except the rack and fancy widows. It is also white and black with red pin stripes and Sport sticker. Mine also has the 231 transfer case, auto trans with the power switch on the dash, and 225 tires.

Jim 88 XJ said:
The VIN is 1JCMR7717JT and it has the same rims as 88XJSport's images. It is the same as XJSport's except the rack and fancy widows. It is also white and black with red pin stripes and Sport sticker. Mine also has the 231 transfer case, auto trans with the power switch on the dash, and 225 tires.

Mine is 1JCMR7716JT

The 1 i bolded is for trim package, in our case "Custom." (base) For limited, 6 would be in that spot. Hope that cleared up any confusion.

Any pics of yours?? Ours sound very similar. Except I have the rack and windoes like you mentioned (optional) and I added 235's.

I guess I need to set up a weblink to post images. I did not realize the custom "1" indication covered the Sport model. I need to add some taller tires and a minor lift for beach cruising. I would like 31's. I will post pics as soon as I set up an image link.

Jim 88 XJ said:
I guess I need to set up a weblink to post images. I did not realize the custom "1" indication covered the Sport model. I need to add some taller tires and a minor lift for beach cruising. I would like 31's. I will post pics as soon as I set up an image link.

Just out of curiosity, i wonder how far apart ours were built....If you dont mind whats the last 6 digits of your vin? IF you dont want to post that for some reason, thats OK, i was just curious. Mine is 219977. They go in order, just wanted to know.

Cant wait to see the pics! You can create an account at photobucket.com, and post the link here.

pressurerat said:
Nice looking renix, 88XJ!

Thank You!

The truck also somehow dodged the "80s paint problems" All clearcoat is present, no peeling. Maybe the Ziebart job when new had something to do with it. But ya its holding up well.

Back